How Does Mass and Velocity Affect Momentum on a Moving Conveyor Belt?

• Thread starter bc33rocks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
In summary, the sand from a stationary hopper falls on a moving conveyor belt at a rate of 4 kg/s. The belt, supported by frictionless rollers, moves at 1.07 m/s due to a horizontal external force from the motor. To find the sand's rate of change of momentum in the horizontal direction, one must calculate the difference between the final speed in the X direction and the initial speed in the X direction. This can be found by considering the sand's mass, which is 4 kg/s, and the speed of the belt, 1.07 m/s. It is important to remember that the rate of change of momentum is equal to the force, and this can help with solving the problem.
bc33rocks
1.Sand from a stationary hopper falls on a mov-
ing conveyor belt at the rate of 4 kg/s, as
shown in the figure. The belt is supported by
frictionless rollers and moves at 1.07 m/s un-
der the action of a horizontal external force
supplied by the motor that drives the belt.
Find the sand’s rate of change of momen-
tum in the horizontal direction. Answer in
units of N.

2. i know the rate of change of momentum is equal to the force but i need help figuring out that i really just need help getting started

Physics news on Phys.org
bc33rocks said:
1.Sand from a stationary hopper falls on a mov-
ing conveyor belt at the rate of 4 kg/s, as
shown in the figure. The belt is supported by
frictionless rollers and moves at 1.07 m/s un-
der the action of a horizontal external force
supplied by the motor that drives the belt.
Find the sand’s rate of change of momen-
tum in the horizontal direction. Answer in
units of N.

2. i know the rate of change of momentum is equal to the force but i need help figuring out that i really just need help getting started

Welcome to PF.

Well what is the change in momentum?

Momentum after - momentum before? I can't see your picture, but I suppose it falls vertically. So the final speed in X is what? The initial speed in X is what and what is the rate of sand mass in 1 sec? ...

Hello,

I can help you with this problem. First, let's define some variables to make it easier to understand. Let's say that the mass of the sand is m and the velocity of the conveyor belt is v. We can also define the change in time as Δt.

Now, we know that the rate of change of momentum is equal to the force, as stated in the problem. This can be written as:

Rate of change of momentum = Force

In this case, the force is the external force supplied by the motor that drives the belt. We can represent this force as F.

So, the equation becomes:

Rate of change of momentum = F

But we also know that momentum is equal to mass multiplied by velocity (p = mv). So, we can rewrite the equation as:

Rate of change of momentum = mΔv/Δt

Where Δv is the change in velocity, which in this case is the velocity of the sand, and Δt is the change in time.

Now, we need to find the value of mΔv/Δt. We know that the mass of the sand is 4 kg/s and the velocity of the conveyor belt is 1.07 m/s. So, the change in velocity would be 1.07 m/s and the change in time would be 1 second.

Therefore, mΔv/Δt = (4 kg/s)(1.07 m/s)/1 s = 4.28 kgm/s^2 = 4.28 N

So, the rate of change of momentum in the horizontal direction is 4.28 N.

I hope this helps you get started with solving this problem. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What does "I with this I am lost" mean?

"I with this I am lost" is a phrase that suggests feeling confused or uncertain about a situation or decision. It can also imply a sense of being overwhelmed or disoriented.

2. Who uses the phrase "I with this I am lost"?

The phrase is commonly used by individuals who are struggling with a problem or facing a difficult decision. It can also be used by those who are feeling lost or unsure about their purpose or direction in life.

3. Is "I with this I am lost" a popular saying?

Yes, it is a popular phrase that is often used in casual conversations, literature, and media. It has become a common way to express feelings of confusion or uncertainty.

4. Can "I with this I am lost" have a positive meaning?

Although the phrase is typically used to convey a sense of confusion or disorientation, it can also have a positive connotation. It can be seen as a form of self-reflection and acknowledgment of one's vulnerability, which can lead to growth and self-discovery.

5. How can one overcome feeling "lost"?

There is no one-size-fits-all solution to overcoming feelings of being lost. Some strategies that may help include setting goals, seeking guidance from others, practicing self-care and self-reflection, and trying new experiences to discover new passions and interests.