Control Design for a Bidirectional Buck Boost Converter

In summary: Can you tell me a little more about the boost converter?In summary, the goal of the project is to step down a 9v source to charge an ultracapacitor, and then when power is needed the converter will work in reverse and boost the ultracap voltage to provide the load. The converter is working in buck mode, but is having difficulty getting it working in boost mode. The control design is using two PI blocks with identical gains and time constants, but the control voltage is then fed into a comparator with a sawtooth oscillator to get the PWM for the MOSFETS.
enyyubfa
Hi there guys,

I'm trying to design a bidirectional buck boost converter as part of a larger three way solar charge controller project. The buck boost part will be connected to an energy storage device, which will probably be a 2F 5V ultracapacitor.

The aim is to step down 9v source to charge the ultracap, and then when power is needed the converter will work in reverse and boost the ultracap voltage to provide the load. I plan to use average current mode control for the converter. The only problem is that I'm really bad at control theory.

I've just about got the converter working in buck mode, but having problems getting it working in boost mode as i can't understand how to get the control setup for this and the capacitors complicate matters.

At the moment I'm still at the simulation stage using PSim software.

For the control design I have an outer voltage loop and a inner current loop. I've used two PI block with identical gains and time constants of 1 and 0.001sec. The control voltage is then fed into a comparator with a 20kHz 1V peak to peak sawtooth oscillator to get the PWM for the MOSFETS.

I've included the circuit diagram.

Can anyone help please?

Attachments

• bi buck boost.GIF
    bi buck boost.GIF
    8.7 KB · Views: 2,219
Engineering news on Phys.org
enyyubfa said:
Hi there guys,

I'm trying to design a bidirectional buck boost converter as part of a larger three way solar charge controller project. The buck boost part will be connected to an energy storage device, which will probably be a 2F 5V ultracapacitor.

The aim is to step down 9v source to charge the ultracap, and then when power is needed the converter will work in reverse and boost the ultracap voltage to provide the load. I plan to use average current mode control for the converter. The only problem is that I'm really bad at control theory.

I've just about got the converter working in buck mode, but having problems getting it working in boost mode as i can't understand how to get the control setup for this and the capacitors complicate matters.

At the moment I'm still at the simulation stage using PSim software.

For the control design I have an outer voltage loop and a inner current loop. I've used two PI block with identical gains and time constants of 1 and 0.001sec. The control voltage is then fed into a comparator with a 20kHz 1V peak to peak sawtooth oscillator to get the PWM for the MOSFETS.

I've included the circuit diagram.

Can anyone help please?

Your schematic shows a synchronous buck stage -- are you asking about the buck or boost functionality? The schematic has a few missing wires, BTW.

Is there a reason that you aren't using a commercially-available Buck/Boost control IC?

I want to have a proof of concept before I move onto actual ICs and I may try to implement it using analogue electronics.

I wanted to know about the boost part. Even when I'm designing a standalone boost converter I'm finding it much more difficult implementing the control.

Which wires are missing?

Thanks

1. What is a bidirectional buck boost converter?

A bidirectional buck boost converter is a type of power electronic circuit that is capable of stepping up or stepping down the input voltage. It can also reverse the direction of the current flow, making it suitable for bi-directional power transfer applications.

2. Why is control design important for a bidirectional buck boost converter?

The control design for a bidirectional buck boost converter is crucial for ensuring efficient and stable operation. It involves designing a control system that regulates the output voltage and current, and also manages the bidirectional flow of power. Without proper control design, the converter may not function correctly, leading to potential damage or inefficiencies.

3. What factors should be considered when designing the control for a bidirectional buck boost converter?

Some key factors to consider when designing the control for a bidirectional buck boost converter include the desired output voltage and current, the input voltage range, the load variations, and the switching frequency. Other considerations may include the converter's efficiency, cost, and size.

4. How is the control for a bidirectional buck boost converter typically implemented?

The control for a bidirectional buck boost converter is usually implemented using a microcontroller or a digital signal processor (DSP). These devices can be programmed to monitor and adjust the converter's switching signals, based on the desired output voltage and current. They can also incorporate feedback loops and control algorithms to ensure stable and efficient operation.

5. What are some common control techniques used for a bidirectional buck boost converter?

Some common control techniques used for a bidirectional buck boost converter include proportional-integral-derivative (PID) control, pulse width modulation (PWM) control, and hysteresis control. These techniques aim to regulate the output voltage and current by adjusting the converter's switching signals based on the input and output feedback signals.