Deformation (continuum mechanics)

In summary, a body that is a unit cube in its reference configuration undergoes a deformation with the following equations: x1=a1(X1+sX2), x2=a2X2, and x3=a3X3, where a1,a2,a3, and s are constants. The lengths of the edges after deformation can be determined using the formula sqrt[(a1-1)^2+(sa1)^2]. The ends of the edges in the reference configuration are {1 0 0}, {0 1 0}, and {0 0 1}. To find the angles between the edges after deformation, the dot product divided by the moduli can be used.
sara_87

Homework Statement

A body which in the reference configuration is a unit cube with its edges parallel to the coordinate axes undergoes the following deformation:

x1=a1(X1+sX2), x2=a2X2, and x3=a3X3
(where a1,a2,a3,s are constants).

determine the lengths of its edges after the deformation

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think i need to know the x1, x2, and x3 before the deformation, as in when it was a unit cube. so if x1=1 then the new length (length after deformation) will be:
sqrt[(1-a1(X1+sX2))^2]

but this is not working for me since the answer is:
lengths: a1, sqrt[(s^2)(a1^2)+a2^2], a3

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sara_87! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
sara_87 said:
I think i need to know the x1, x2, and x3 before the deformation, as in when it was a unit cube. so if x1=1 then the new length (length after deformation) will be:
sqrt[(1-a1(X1+sX2))^2]

but this is not working for me since the answer is:
lengths: a1, sqrt[(s^2)(a1^2)+a2^2], a3

You're getting very confused :confused:

X1 and X2 will not appear in the final result …

and the ends of your edges are {X1 = 1, X2 = X3 = 0} etc :wink:

how did you know that X1=1 and X2=X3=0 ?
and are these for the reference configuration or after the deformation?
I am confused :(

Because it's "a unit cube with its edges parallel to the coordinate axes" …

so the ends of three edges (before the deformation) are {1 0 0} {0 1 0} and {0 0 1} :smile:

thanks.
so say for one of the edges, it used to be (1,0,0) then after deformation, it's
(a1, s*a1, 0)
so the length is: sqrt[(a1-1)^2+(sa1)^2]

i think I am making a big mistake but i don't know what it is.

sara_87 said:
so say for one of the edges, it used to be (1,0,0) then after deformation, it's
(a1, s*a1, 0)

No, you're not applying the formula …

for example, the new X2 should be a2(old X2), = a20 :smile:

oh ok, thank you.
also, how do i find the angles between these edges (after deformation)?

dot product divided by moduli = … ? :smile:

=cos(theta), thank you very much :)

1. What is deformation in continuum mechanics?

Deformation in continuum mechanics refers to the change in shape or size of a material when it is subjected to external forces. It is a fundamental concept in the study of solid mechanics and is used to understand the behavior of materials under different loading conditions.

2. What are the types of deformation in continuum mechanics?

There are three types of deformation: elastic, plastic, and viscous. Elastic deformation is temporary and reversible, while plastic deformation is permanent and irreversible. Viscous deformation occurs in liquids and is characterized by continuous flow under applied stress.

3. How is deformation measured?

Deformation is measured using strain, which is defined as the ratio of the change in length or shape of a material to its original length or shape. Strain can be expressed as either engineering strain, which considers only the change in length, or true strain, which takes into account changes in both length and shape.

4. What factors affect deformation in materials?

The deformation of a material is affected by several factors, including the type of material, the magnitude and direction of applied forces, the temperature, and the time period over which the forces are applied. Different materials have different levels of resistance to deformation, with some being more ductile (able to withstand plastic deformation) and others being more brittle (prone to breaking under stress).

5. How is deformation related to stress in continuum mechanics?

Deformation and stress are closely related in continuum mechanics. Stress is defined as the force per unit area, and it is the driving force behind deformation. The type and magnitude of stress applied to a material determine the type and degree of deformation it will experience. By studying the relationship between stress and deformation, scientists and engineers can better understand the behavior of materials and predict their response to external forces.