I don't get branch cuts in the complex plane at ALL

In summary, to define a single-value branch of the function f(z) = log(z - z0) in the complex plane \mathbb{C}, you can shift the origin to z0 by letting u = z - z0. Then, any straight line from 0 to infinity can be chosen as the branch cut. The most common choice is the negative x-axis, which separates the complex plane into different regions. In terms of the original z, the branch cut can be represented as a straight line from z0 to infinity, with the standard choice being z = t + iy0 where y0 is the imaginary part of z0 and t can be a negative real number.
AxiomOfChoice
Suppose you're trying to provide a branch cut in [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] that will define a single-value branch of [itex]f(z) = \log(z - z_0)[/itex]. I don't know where to begin. Can someone help explain this concept to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can first shift to the origin by letting u= z- z0 so your question refers to f(u)= ln(u). Now any straight line, from 0 to infinity can be taken as a branch cut! The "standard" choice is to take the negative x-axis as branch cut so that [itex]ln(z)= ln(re^{i\theta})= ln(r)+ i\theta[/itex] and [itex]-\pi< \theta< \pi[/itex]. The point is that that choice of branch cut "separates" [itex]-\pi< \theta< \pi[/itex] from [itex]\pi< \theta< 3\pi[/itex] from [itex]3\pi< \theta< 5\pi[/itex], etc.

In terms of your original z, a branch cut is a straight line from z0 to infinity and the "standard" choice is the line z= t+ iy0 where y0 is the imaginary part of z0 and t can be negative real number.

1. What are branch cuts in the complex plane?

Branch cuts are a mathematical concept used to define a discontinuity in a multivalued function in the complex plane. They are typically represented as a line or curve that separates the different branches of the function.

2. Why don't I understand branch cuts in the complex plane?

Understanding branch cuts can be challenging because they involve complex numbers and multivalued functions, which can be abstract and difficult to visualize. It may also require a strong understanding of basic calculus and complex analysis.

3. How are branch cuts related to complex functions?

Branch cuts are closely related to complex functions because they help define the domains and ranges of multivalued functions in the complex plane. They are used to ensure that these functions are well-defined and continuous.

4. Can you provide an example of a branch cut in the complex plane?

One example of a branch cut is the natural logarithm function. The branch cut for this function is typically defined along the negative real axis, where the function becomes multivalued due to the presence of complex numbers.

5. How are branch cuts used in physics and engineering?

Branch cuts have various applications in physics and engineering, particularly in fields such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. They are used to define the discontinuities and singularities of complex functions, which can help solve problems and make predictions in these fields.