General question abotu the raidus on an electric field due to line of charge.

In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating the electric field at a point on an axis where a line of charge is present. It is noted that the electric field is radial and symmetrical, meaning the radial distance from the wire is the only important factor. The correct radius function for the integrand is -b-x, which will result in a positive value for r.
1stepatatime
This is due to a line of charge that rests on an axis and evaluating the electric field at a point that is also on the same axis. Will the radius, no matter what always be positive?

So if one end of a uniform line of charge is placed at the origin that extends in the negative x-axis and there is some point at -b (that is not on the line of charge) that I am to evaluate the electric field, would my radius be r=(x-b) in the integrand?

edit: sorry for misspelling the title.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you give a little bit more description? The electric field around an infinite line charge is radial and has symmetry, it doesn't matter where along the line you choose to evaluate the field, all that matters is the radial distance from the wire.

Sorry not bio-savart law lol, my mistake.

Kalvarin said:
Could you give a little bit more description? The electric field around an infinite line charge is radial and has symmetry, it doesn't matter where along the line you choose to evaluate the field, all that matters is the radial distance from the wire.

Sorry not bio-savart law lol, my mistake.

Sorry about that, to clarify:

Given my example, if a rod with uniform charge density had one end placed at the origin of the x-axis, and extended some distance of x=-a in the negative x direction and there was some point P at x= -b which is further down the negative x-axis than x=-a. Would the radius function in the integrand of the electric field at point P be r= (-b-x)? Since the x values along the rod are negative this would make r positive in value. Is this what my goal for r should be?

Last edited:
Yes i believe that is right. The vector from a point on the line charge to the point in space is
-b-x like you said.

What is the formula for calculating the electric field due to a line of charge?

The formula for calculating the electric field due to a line of charge is given by E = kλ/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), λ is the linear charge density (C/m), and r is the distance from the line of charge (m).

How does the direction of the electric field change as you move away from the line of charge?

The direction of the electric field due to a line of charge is always perpendicular to the line and points away from or towards the line depending on the sign of the charge. As you move away from the line, the electric field decreases in magnitude but maintains its direction.

Can the electric field due to a line of charge be negative?

Yes, the electric field due to a line of charge can be negative if the line of charge has a negative linear charge density. This indicates that the electric field points towards the line of charge.

What is the relationship between the electric field and the radius of the line of charge?

The electric field is inversely proportional to the distance from the line of charge. As the radius increases, the electric field decreases, and vice versa.

How does the electric field due to a line of charge compare to that of a point charge?

The electric field due to a line of charge is different from that of a point charge in that it varies with distance, whereas the electric field of a point charge is constant at all points in space. Additionally, the electric field of a line of charge is stronger at points closer to the line and weaker at points further away, while the electric field of a point charge is the same magnitude at all points on its surface.