Can Monoatomic Elements Really Have Superpowers?

• Thread starter dr dodge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elements
In summary: So, in summary, this monoatomic gold stuff is just a bunch of pseudoscience, and there is no real evidence that it has any real benefits.
dr dodge
I didn't know where to start this so move it as needed,

I have seen a bunch of "odd" info about monoatomic metals (mainly gold) and thought ya'll could answer some questions.
exactly what is monoatomic?
can gold, or any metal be made into a monoatomic element?
is it indeed a superconductor, that also varies its mass?
could, as ithe sites say, ancient technology really make this stuff?

and I am steering clear of all the claims of its "super powers". I just the nuclear chem behind this stuff

thanks all,

dr

Physics news on Phys.org
Monoatomic simply means something that consists of a single atom (mono=one). For example helium is a monoatomic gas since each particle in the gas is just a single atom whereas gases such as hydrogen, nitrogen and oxygen are diatomic (di=2, each particle consists of two bound atoms)

The term "monoatomic" simply does not make sense for gold, or indeed any metal. It is obviously true that pure gold consists of many single gold atoms; but so what?

that was what I thought, but wanted to consult some experts. I guess, technically, it would be a monoatomic molecule, as opposed to atom. all atoms would be monoatomic by defination, right?
this stuff is supposed to be a "nano-powder" and people are actually ingesting it. sounds un-believably unsafe to me.

dr

If "monoatomic" means made of a single kind of atoms, then all elements are monoatomic, by definition. In practice there is always some impurities in any sample so there are a few other atoms. So in practice there is no "monoatomic" sample, from this point of view.

Usually "monoatomic" is used for gases, as a way to say that their molecules are formed from a single atom (not a single kind of atoms). Hydrogen gas is made from bi-atomic molecules so it is not mono-atomic from this second point of view but it will be mono-atomic from the first point of view.

In solid metals there are no molecules as individual entities so it does not make sens to talk about monoatomic molecules of gold.

If it's about using gold as a dietary supplement, anyway the term monoatomic is used just to give the impression of some scientific base. Probably is all nonsense.
Fortunately ingesting gold is probably safe. At least from chemical point of view.
It was done for various reasons. There are even drinks and sweets that contain gold foil or flakes that you ingest.

I understand that you are talking about nanoparticles of gold.
The flakes and foil were just example of gold ingested without any obvious harm.

The gold nano-particles are extensively used in bio-medical research.

thanks to all
I am now more informed, and appreciate it

dr

its not actual flakes of gold. it appears to be a fine white powder.
this is one of the "how to pages"

That page is just crackpottery and pseudoscience. If you insist on believing it, you'll have to take it somewhere else. This board is about reality.

Some comments on nomenclature:
"Monoatomic" is usually spelt "monatomic" which means single-atomed and nothing else.

An atom is an atom and an element is an element. A substance containing a single element is "elemental". E.g. "Elemental sulphur has the formula S8"

Gold nanoparticles seem to be http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/bc049951i" [Broken].

Which doesn't mean that you should buy into any scientific-sounding stuff you find online, especially on a site that apparently also promotes astrology.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe the stuff. that why I came here with it. Its just my basic chem knowledge is pretty rusty.
couldn't think of any better source of actual scientists that could help me de-bunk this stuff.
I had had my own theory that the "cooking process" was just dumping residual chemicals and minerals out of the fluid in question. What concerns me is that there is no way to tell what other stuff is in this "powder" that precipitated out of the water actually is. I live on the gulf, and there is absolutely NO WAY I would even drink a grass of that water by its self, just from all the benzene, let alone concoct a "super healing compound"

unfortunately the internet is completely full of instant cures, dis-information, and psudo-science.

thanks to all again

dr

What are monoatomic elements?

Monoatomic elements are chemical elements that exist as single atoms rather than molecules. They are also known as noble gases or inert gases, as they are typically unreactive and stable due to their full outer electron shells.

How many monoatomic elements are there?

There are six monoatomic elements: helium, neon, argon, krypton, xenon, and radon. These elements are found in Group 18 of the periodic table and have complete valence electron shells, making them stable and unreactive.

How are monoatomic elements different from diatomic elements?

Monoatomic elements consist of single atoms, while diatomic elements consist of two atoms bonded together. Diatomic elements, such as oxygen and nitrogen, are more reactive than monoatomic elements due to their incomplete outer electron shells.

What are the common uses of monoatomic elements?

Monoatomic elements have various industrial and commercial uses. Helium is used in balloons and airships due to its low density, neon is used in neon lights, and argon is used in welding and light bulbs. Xenon and krypton are used in lighting and for medical imaging, and radon is used in cancer treatment.

Can monoatomic elements form compounds?

No, monoatomic elements do not typically form compounds as they already have full outer electron shells, making them stable and unreactive. However, under extreme conditions, such as high pressure and temperature, some monoatomic elements can form compounds with other elements.