(2pi)i=0? Confused about Complex Number

In summary, the conversation is discussing the complex number equation e^{2\pi i}=1 and how it relates to ln e^{2\pi i}=0. The explanation is that ln is not a normal function and is similar to picking a part of the graph to define an inverse. In this case, the imaginary part must be restricted to a certain range (typically 0 to 2\pi) to define ln.
mmmboh
I am confused about something, this isn't homework I was just fooling around with complex numbers, and found this:

[tex]e^{2\pi i}=1[/tex] so
[tex]ln e^{2\pi i}=ln 1=0= 2\pi i[/tex]

Can someone explain this? the [tex]2\pi i=0[/tex] part...I must have done something illegal...

Physics news on Phys.org
You're assuming that ln is a normal function. What's happening is similar to when you define arctan(x). tan(x) isn't invertible, but you pick a part of the graph that is invertible and take the inverse of that. Similiarly, exponentiation isn't actually invertible, and the reason why is because it's periodic: if you add [tex] 2\pi i[/tex] to the exponent, you get the same thing again. So when you want to define ln, you have to restrict what values the imaginary part can take (the standard choice is that the imaginary part is between 0 and [tex]2\pi[/tex]

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real and imaginary component. It is written in the form a + bi, where a is the real component and bi is the imaginary component with i being the imaginary unit.

2. What is the value of i?

The value of i is the imaginary unit, which is defined as the square root of -1. This value allows for the representation of imaginary numbers in mathematical equations.

3. How does (2pi)i=0?

This equation holds true because when 2pi is multiplied by i, it results in a rotation of 90 degrees on the complex plane. Since i^2 = -1, the rotation of 90 degrees results in a value of -1. Therefore, 2pi*i = 2pi*(-1) = -2pi. Since -2pi is a full rotation on the complex plane, it is equivalent to 0.

4. Why is (2pi)i=0 significant?

This equation is significant because it is a fundamental property of complex numbers. It demonstrates the relationship between complex numbers and the trigonometric functions sine and cosine, which are used in many scientific and mathematical applications.

5. How can I use this equation in real-world applications?

The equation (2pi)i=0 can be used in various scientific and mathematical fields, such as physics, engineering, and finance. It is used to model periodic phenomena and can also be applied in signal processing and electrical engineering.