Delocalised pi electrons in benzene

In summary, the movement of pi electrons in a benzene molecule is not significantly different from the movement of other electrons, unless there is a magnetic field present. The concept of resonance in chemistry does not involve actual movement of electrons, but rather a superposition of different resonance structures. The delocalized pi electrons in benzene are able to occupy a larger volume due to the principle of quantum mechanics that states larger orbitals have lower energies. This allows the electrons to move around the ring of the molecule.
Parbat
Why do pi electrons in a benzene move?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
In what sense? They don't really move more or less than other electrons. (unless there's a magnetic field, in which case you get a ring current, which is cool)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonance_(chemistry)

280px-Stickstoffdioxid.svg.png

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=261728
I never did get an answer

Granpa, I tried to answer the question in the other thread.

Resonance doesn't actually mean that the structure is moving back and forth between the different structures; they're not true reaction arrows. Rather, (in the VB theory picture) they're in a quantum superposition of the various resonance structures - all at the same time, but to different extents.

As for NO2, 5 + 6 +6 = 17 valence electrons. It can't possibly obey the octet rule with an odd number of electrons, since one of them must be unpaired. It's a radical.

Are you familiar with the particle in a box in quantum mechanics? One very important principle that this model system illustrates is that as the size of the box increases, the ground state energy of the electron decreases. Therefore, when an electron has an opportunity to "spread out" over a larger area it does so in order to lower its total energy.

Think of it this way: different resonance structures aren't descriptions of where electrons are, just where the electrons could be according to their wave functions.

I read this question as "Why does benzene have a ring of delocalised electrons rather than double bonds", the answer to which is:

Double bonds form when two pi orbitals which are next to each other overlap. However, in benzene, each pi orbital has two other pi orbitals next to it and hence, doesn't really form a bond with either of them, but instead forms a bond with both. This happens to all 6 pi orbitals in the molecule and you end up with a hexagonal/circular ring of delocalized electrons. Seeing as this ring is essentially just 1 big orbital, the electrons in each carbon's pi orbital can technically be anywhere in the ring, i.e they move around the ring.

Hope that helped.

alxm said:
In what sense? They don't really move more or less than other electrons. (unless there's a magnetic field, in which case you get a ring current, which is cool)
I don t understand.Pi electrons are more movable,aren t they?This is princip of the resonance,isn it?Pi electrons can easily move.Correct me if I am wrong.

thedy said:
I don t understand.Pi electrons are more movable,aren t they?This is princip of the resonance,isn it?Pi electrons can easily move.Correct me if I am wrong.

As alxm said, they don't move any more than any other electrons. Electrons involve in a chemical bond move around in some confined area defined by the molecular orbital they inhabit. Most of the time, the molecular orbital is confined between two atoms. In the case of conjugated pi systems like benzene, the molecular orbital spans multiple atoms. So, the electrons are free to around in a larger volume, but they do not move any faster than electrons involved in other types of chemical bonds.

As for why the electrons are able to occupy a larger volume, see my explanation above. Molecular orbitals with larger volumes have lower energies than molecular orbitals with smaller volumes. Therefore, if given the chance, neighboring orbitals will combine to form larger orbitals.

1. What are delocalised pi electrons?

Delocalised pi electrons refer to the electrons that are not bound to a specific atom in a molecule, but instead are spread out over a larger area. In benzene, the six pi electrons are delocalised and move freely throughout the ring structure.

2. How do delocalised pi electrons contribute to the structure of benzene?

The delocalised pi electrons in benzene contribute to the molecule's stability and resonance. This allows for the six carbon atoms to be in a planar, hexagonal shape, rather than alternating between single and double bonds like in other unsaturated hydrocarbons.

3. What is the significance of the delocalised pi electrons in benzene?

The delocalised pi electrons in benzene play a crucial role in its unique chemical and physical properties. These electrons make benzene highly stable and resistant to chemical reactions, as well as giving it a flat structure and unique reactivity.

4. How do delocalised pi electrons affect the reactivity of benzene?

The delocalised pi electrons in benzene make it less reactive than other unsaturated hydrocarbons. This is because the electrons are already in a stable, delocalised state and do not need to form more bonds. This makes benzene less likely to undergo addition reactions and more likely to undergo substitution reactions.

5. Can delocalised pi electrons be found in other molecules besides benzene?

Yes, delocalised pi electrons can be found in other aromatic compounds, such as toluene and naphthalene. They can also be found in other molecules with conjugated double bonds, such as in carbonyl compounds and polyenes. However, the delocalisation is not always as extensive as in benzene.