Physics paper guessing game: Are you worse than a monkey?

In summary, the game is a fun way to test your ability to guess the real physics papers from the fake ones. The best score is achieved by doing slightly better than 50% accuracy. If you do worse than this, you are ranked as a "worse than a monkey". If you do well, you are ranked as an "undergraduate" and may eventually reach the rank of "Nobel prize winner".
D H
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
The concept of the game: You are presented with the titles of two papers. One paper is a real one posted at the arXiv. The other is fake, with the title automatically generated using a context-free grammar. Your job: Guess which is the real paper. After guessing you will be presented with another pair of titles. You can play as long as you want. The game will give you a ranking based on your ability to ferret out the real physics papers versus the fake ones. Do slightly worse than 50% and you are ranked "worse than a monkey". Dropping down even lower makes you a "ninth year graduate student". Do well and you will rise to the rank of "undergraduate" and may eventually achieve the rank of "Nobel prize winner".

Here is the website: http://snarxiv.org/vs-arxiv/.

Physics news on Phys.org
:rofl: You made my day. (And I'm pretty good at picking the 'winners', apparently. Racked up a Nobel prize. :cool:)

I'm an undergraduate.

Well at least I'm at the right level for my current education status.

Woah... I'm stumped by my first one. I feel like an idiot! This game is awesome.

I went 10 for 10, but I had read 4 of the real papers so I am not so sure it counts.

Vanadium 50 said:
I went 10 for 10, but I had read 4 of the real papers so I am not so sure it counts.

I was 6 for 6... then 6 for 7... then 6 for 8... then 6 for 9... then 6 for 10...

Then I just started clicking the left side each time.

Now I'm 16 for 22?

I got to 7 out of 7 just clicking the right side without even reading the title, suspect it might be slightly biased :).

Got to love it, I just kept clicking right this time and got "Ed, is that you?" 10 out of 10.

I just tried the "click right scheme" and got some hilarious ratings.

0 out of 5: Guess harder.
1 out of 6: Crackpot.
2 out of 7: LHC doomsayer.
2 out of 8: Nice round number.
3 out of 9: Worse than a monkey.
3 out of 10: Try using AdS/CFT.
12 out of 30: 9th year graduate student.

1. What is the purpose of the "Physics paper guessing game: Are you worse than a monkey?"

The purpose of the game is to test your ability to correctly guess the outcome of a physics paper, compared to a monkey randomly selecting answers.

2. How does the game work?

The game presents a series of physics questions and gives you two options to choose from: the correct answer or a random answer chosen by a monkey. You make your selection and see if you were able to outsmart the monkey.

3. What is the significance of comparing a human to a monkey in this game?

The comparison is meant to highlight the importance of knowledge and critical thinking in understanding and solving complex problems, such as those presented in physics papers. It also serves as a reminder that even the most intelligent animals, like monkeys, cannot match the intellectual capabilities of humans.

4. Is this game meant to be taken seriously?

While the game is meant to be entertaining, it also has a serious message about the value of education and critical thinking skills. It is not meant to be a definitive measure of intelligence, but rather a fun way to engage with physics concepts.

5. Can I improve my chances of winning against the monkey?

Yes, by studying and gaining knowledge in physics, you can improve your chances of selecting the correct answer and outsmarting the monkey. This game serves as a fun way to practice and test your understanding of physics concepts.