Mass spectrometer radius of the path

In summary: The correct formula is r = \frac {\sqrt{2mV}}{2q B} , where m is the mass of the ion (3.27 x 10^-25 kg), V is the potential difference (1.40 kV), q is the charge of the ion (2 * 1.6 x 10^-19 C), and B is the magnetic field (0.600 T). Plugging in these values, we get a radius of 7.88 x 10^-3 m. In summary, the radius of the path followed by doubly ionized gold ions in a mass spectrometer can be calculated using the formula r = \frac {\sqrt{2mV}}{2q B} and
1timeuse
Suppose that an ion source in a mass spectrometer produces doubly ionized gold ions (Au2+), each with a mass of 3.27 x 10^-25 kg. The ions are accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 1.40 kV. Then, a 0.600 T magnetic field causes the ions to follow a circular path. Determine the radius of the path.

i tried to use

[tex] r = \frac {\sqrt{2mV}}{2q B^2} [/tex]

i doubled the q because the question says the ions are doubly ionized. is q = 1.6 e -19 still or is it different with gold ions? my answer was 7.95 e -3 but I'm wrong according to my webassign.

Physics news on Phys.org
1timeuse said:
Suppose that an ion source in a mass spectrometer produces doubly ionized gold ions (Au2+), each with a mass of 3.27 x 10^-25 kg. The ions are accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 1.40 kV. Then, a 0.600 T magnetic field causes the ions to follow a circular path. Determine the radius of the path.

i tried to use

[tex] r = \frac {\sqrt{2mV}}{2q B^2} [/tex]

i doubled the q because the question says the ions are doubly ionized. is q = 1.6 e -19 still or is it different with gold ions? my answer was 7.95 e -3 but I'm wrong according to my webassign.

Your denominator also belongs under the radical.

The formula you used, r = \frac {\sqrt{2mV}}{2q B^2}, is the correct one to use for finding the radius of the path of the ions in a mass spectrometer. However, the value of q will change depending on the charge of the ion. In this case, since the gold ions are doubly ionized, the charge would be 2 times the fundamental charge, so q = 2(1.6 x 10^-19) = 3.2 x 10^-19 C.

Plugging in the given values, we get:

r = \frac {\sqrt{2(3.27 x 10^-25)(1.40 x 10^3)}}{2(3.2 x 10^-19)(0.600)^2} = 0.017 m or 1.7 cm

So the radius of the path of the gold ions in this mass spectrometer would be approximately 1.7 cm. Make sure to double check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy.

1. What is the mass spectrometer radius of the path?

The mass spectrometer radius of the path refers to the distance between the center of the mass spectrometer and the path that the ions will follow during the analysis process.

2. How does the mass spectrometer radius of the path affect the analysis results?

The radius of the path plays a crucial role in the resolution and accuracy of the mass spectrometer. A larger radius will result in a lower resolution and less accurate results, while a smaller radius will provide better resolution and more accurate results.

3. What factors determine the mass spectrometer radius of the path?

The mass spectrometer radius of the path is determined by the size and design of the instrument, as well as the strength of the magnetic field and the speed at which the ions are traveling.

4. Can the mass spectrometer radius of the path be adjusted?

Yes, the radius of the path can be adjusted by changing the magnetic field or adjusting the instrument's design. However, this may also affect other aspects of the analysis, such as resolution and sensitivity.

5. Why is the mass spectrometer radius of the path important in organic chemistry?

In organic chemistry, the mass spectrometer radius of the path is important because it affects the separation and identification of different compounds. A smaller radius allows for better separation of closely related compounds, while a larger radius may cause them to overlap and result in inaccurate analysis.