Hydrodynamic interaction of particles

In summary, the flow of a single sphere moving at speed U in a fluid at rest is described by the streamfunction, which consists of a stokeslet and a dipole. When considering the sedimentation of two spheres A and B, separated by a distance d and moving under the influence of gravity at the same speed, the velocity components can be calculated using the superposition of the two streamfunctions. The value of U0 is found to be the part of the expression without an a/d term, while U1 is the part with an a/d term. At the next order, each sphere induces a velocity (a/d)U1 on the other one, and the angle α is conserved. The pair of spheres fall down
funcosed

Homework Statement

The flow of a single sphere translating at speed U in a fluid at rest far away from the sphere is given by the streamfunction,

ψ(r,Θ) = (1/4)Ua2(3r/a - a/r)sin2Θ a=radius of sphere

the origin is at the centre of the sphere and the axis Θ = 0 is parallel to U.

It has already been established that the streamfunction consists of a stokeslet and a dipole and at a distance D the dipoles influence is negligible.
Now consisder sedimentation of two spheres A and B separated by a distance d (d >> a and d > D). Both spheres move under the influence of gravity (g = gez)at the same speed.
The angle between a line joining the centre of the spheres and the vertical is α (alpha).

The velocity is U = U0+(a/d)U1+...

The neglected terms are of order O((a/d)2). What is value of U0 and show that the next order each sphere induces a velocity (a/d)U1 on the other one. Provide an expression for U1 and a rough plot for each sphere.

Homework Equations

Velocity components given by Stokes stream function:

Ur = (1/r2sinΘ)∂ψ/∂Θ

UΘ = (-1/rsinΘ)∂ψ/∂r

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking the origin to be at the centre of sphere A its stream function is the expression given above. The stream function for B is the same but with r translated by d, i.e. r = r+d. Is this correct?
Then I think the superposition of the two can then be used to calculate the velocity via stokes stream function given above. Is this the right approach?
The I take it U0 will be the part of the expression that has no a/d term and U1 will be the part with an a/d term ??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
and continuing .....

Ur = (1/r2sinΘ)∂ψ/∂Θ
UΘ = (-1/rsinΘ)∂ψ/∂r

for this I get
U = (1/2)UcosΘ[6a/r + 3ad/r2 - a3/r3 - a3/(r3+dr3)]
- (1/4)UsinΘ[6a/r + a3/r3 - a3/r(r+dr)2]

Taking terms without a/d for U ...not sure if this is right?

U = (1/2)UcosΘ[6a/r + 3ad/r2 - a3/r3] - (1/4)UsinΘ[6a/r + a3/r3]

4. Show that at the next order each sphere induces a velocity (a/d)U1 on the other. Provide an expression for U1 and a rough plot of (a/d)U1 for each of the two spheres.

Can get expression from part 3, (1/2)UcosΘ[-a^3/(r^3+dr^2)]
but this doesn't seem right to me!
Have I gone wrong in the algebra or is it the wrong approach?

5. Show that the angle α is conserved,
require expression for α and then dα/dt = 0
I think I use cos∝ = U0*t / d
then sub in expression for U0 ? Is this the right idea?

6. Show that the pair of spheres fall down a path making an angle γ with the vertical. Calculate γ as a function of a, d and α. Hence show that the path of spheres is vertical only if the line connecting there centres is vertical or horizontal.

Not sure about this one but if someone could nudge me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

1. What is hydrodynamic interaction of particles?

Hydrodynamic interaction of particles refers to the physical phenomenon in which particles in a fluid environment interact with each other through the surrounding fluid. This interaction is caused by the fluid flow and can affect the motion and behavior of the particles.

2. How is hydrodynamic interaction of particles studied?

Hydrodynamic interaction of particles is studied using various experimental and theoretical techniques. These include microscopy, rheology, computational fluid dynamics (CFD), and numerical simulations. These methods allow scientists to observe and analyze the behavior of particles in a fluid environment.

3. What factors influence hydrodynamic interaction of particles?

The hydrodynamic interaction of particles is influenced by several factors, including the size, shape, and surface properties of the particles, as well as the properties of the surrounding fluid such as viscosity and flow rate. The distance between particles and their relative orientation also play a role in the strength and type of interaction.

4. What are some applications of hydrodynamic interaction of particles?

The study of hydrodynamic interaction of particles has various applications in fields such as biophysics, materials science, and engineering. It is used to understand the motion of cells in biological systems, the behavior of nanoparticles in drug delivery, and the flow of particles in industrial processes such as filtration and mixing.

5. How does hydrodynamic interaction of particles impact industrial processes?

In industrial processes, hydrodynamic interaction of particles can have both positive and negative effects. On one hand, it can enhance mixing and promote efficient transport of particles. On the other hand, it can also cause clogging and hinder the flow of particles. Understanding and controlling these interactions is important for optimizing industrial processes and improving their efficiency.