Experience Thrust with a Successful M40 Pulsejet | Metiz Design

• Thread starter ganuganu
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is demonstrating their second self-sustained pulsejet and adjusting the injector for optimal thrust. They mention that the exhaust can be improved and that they want to build an RC airplane around it. The engine was successfully self-sustained but the video was taken two weeks prior to the conversation. The speaker also shows pictures of the engine and mentions using a 15kg LPG tank for fuel. They clarify that LPG stands for liquefied petroleum gas and that it requires more than 16oz of fuel to start the engine. There is also a discussion about the noise level of the engine and potential issues with neighbors. The speaker states that they test the engine at their college, not near their house.
ganuganu
this is my second pulsejet which is self sustained..iam just holding the injector using the air gun..and trying to adjust the injector for good thrust.this is a successful thrust you could see the cycle shaking due to the thrust produced by the engine..this will be clearly visible from 0:50..

design by: metiz (thanks for the help sir)

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
That's cool, the exhaust looks non-steady tough, I'm sure you can improve it.

I wanted to make one too and build an RC airplane around it but they are very inefficient (and really loud)

Curl said:
That's cool, the exhaust looks non-steady tough, I'm sure you can improve it.

I wanted to make one too and build an RC airplane around it but they are very inefficient (and really loud)
you can fix it in RC planes it will be cool..because in my video you could see the engine thrust shaking the bicycle..

Very cool. Can you lengthen the exhaust a little for sustained combustion? From what I understand a good portion of the exhaust resonates back up the exhaust tube to compress and ignite the next cycle.

Phrak said:
Very cool. Can you lengthen the exhaust a little for sustained combustion? From what I understand a good portion of the exhaust resonates back up the exhaust tube to compress and ignite the next cycle.

the engine was actually self sustained but i was not able to take that video because it was exam on that day for me,so we were not allowed to take videos..But this video was took two weeks before,in this video it self sustained but i was adjusting the injector to check the thrust in different positions..

ganuganu said:
the engine was actually self sustained but i was not able to take that video because it was exam on that day for me,so we were not allowed to take videos..But this video was took two weeks before,in this video it self sustained but i was adjusting the injector to check the thrust in different positions..

My mistake. Still very cool. It's difficult to tell the proportions from the end-view. I would try to make one myself but I couldn't get away with it. It would really piss off the neighbors.

here are the pictures,you could see the engine clearly..

Attachments

• 14032011089.jpg
    14032011089.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 396
  • 17102010050.jpg
    17102010050.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 382
  • 22102010070.jpg
    22102010070.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 368
Very nice weld work. Do you have a small propane tank you can mount on the bike?

Phrak said:
Very nice weld work. Do you have a small propane tank you can mount on the bike?
iam not using propane tank,instead iam using LPG tank(15kg)..

LPG is short for liquid propane gas. You can buy these in little 14 and 16 oz. canisters that might serve will on a bicycle.

Phrak said:
LPG is short for liquid propane gas. You can buy these in little 14 and 16 oz. canisters that might serve will on a bicycle.
i think its liquefied petroleum gas..because it contains mixture of propane and butane..this engine requires more fuel 16oz is not enough to start the engine..

Wow. You're right. All this time, I've been wrong.

Good grief, if it takes 16 oz. just to start it up. You're neigbours must be up in arms and ready to roast you for dinner.

Seriously, you are really pissing them off with the horrendous noise. They don't have to say anything; they're just building up steam ready to burst each time you fire it up. They will eventually compare notes, and shut you down with lasting animosity toward yourself and your parents. You should consided playing elsewhere, where it's not so noisome.

Last edited:
Phrak said:
Wow. You're right. All this time, I've been wrong.

Good grief, if it takes 16 oz. just to start it up. You're neigbours must be up in arms and ready to roast you for dinner.

Seriously, you are really pissing them off with the horrendous noise. They don't have to say anything; they're just building up steam ready to burst each time you fire it up. They will eventually compare notes, and shut you down with lasting animosity toward yourself and your parents. You should consided playing elsewhere, where it's not so noisome.
i started this engine in my collage not near my house..so no problem for me..:cool::tongue2:

1. What is a successful M40 pulsejet?

A successful M40 pulsejet is a type of jet engine that uses the principle of air being drawn into a combustion chamber and then ignited, creating a cycle of air intake and exhaust that produces thrust. The M40 pulsejet was used in World War II and is still used in some modern jet engines.

2. How does an M40 pulsejet work?

The M40 pulsejet works by creating a series of pressure waves that travel through the engine, causing air to be drawn into the combustion chamber and then ignited. This creates a continuous cycle of air intake and exhaust, producing thrust that propels the engine forward.

3. What makes the M40 pulsejet successful?

The M40 pulsejet is successful because of its simplicity and reliability. It has very few moving parts, making it easy to manufacture and maintain. It also has a high thrust-to-weight ratio, making it ideal for use in small aircraft and missiles.

4. What are the advantages of using an M40 pulsejet?

One of the main advantages of using an M40 pulsejet is its high efficiency. It is able to convert a large amount of the energy in fuel into thrust, making it a cost-effective choice for powering aircraft. It also has a high power-to-weight ratio, making it useful for applications where weight is a critical factor.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using an M40 pulsejet?

While the M40 pulsejet has many advantages, it also has some drawbacks. One of the main drawbacks is its loud noise, which can be a nuisance for both pilots and people on the ground. It also has limited speed capabilities and is not suitable for supersonic flight.