Energy, Work and circular motion

In summary, the first problem involves calculating the minimum angle at which a pendulum must be released in order for the ball to go over a peg without the string going slack. By setting up the equation T + W = mv^2/R and considering the tension of the rope, the minimum velocity is found to be sqrt(r*g). The equation for the height of the pendulum is then used to solve for the angle, which comes out to be arcsin(1/3) or arccos(2/3). For the second problem, the maximum velocity of a 23.0 kg box sliding down a frictionless ramp and colliding with a spring is determined by taking the derivative of the kinetic energy equation and setting it
quick
ok this first one is rated as a fairly tough problem.

1) A pendulum is formed from a small ball of mass m on a string of length L. As the figure shows, a peg is height h = L/3 above the pendulum's lowest point. From what minimum angle theta must the pendulum be released in order for the ball to go over the top of the peg without the string going slack?

http://s93755476.onlinehome.us/knight.Figure.10.54.jpg

so far i have set up the equation T + W = mv^2/R. since the tension of the rope is so that there is no slack, T = 0. so i get mv = mv^2/R and the masses cancel. for V, i found out that the minimum velocity is just sqrt(r*g). R = 2L/3 and h = L - Lcos(theta). however when i tried plugging all the data in, i get L-Lcos(theta) = 1/2*(2L/3). so then solving for theta i get arccos((2/3)*L/L) but when i try it, it says it doesn't depend on L or h. it wants the answer in degrees which i don't see how that's possible.
======================================================
2) A 23.0 kg box slides 4.0 m down the frictionless ramp shown in the figure, then collides with a spring whose spring constant is 150 N/m. At what compression of the spring does the box have its maximum velocity?

http://s93755476.onlinehome.us/knight.Figure.10.69.jpg

i know i have to take the derivative of something and set equal to 0 to find the maximum. but of what equation I am not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's look at 1)
You're very close
sin(a)=1/3L/L
a=arcsin(1/3)
Or in your case arccos(2/3)
You only missed that L/L=1 :P so the angle is arcsin(1/3)

Last edited:
Regarding problem #1:
quick said:
so far i have set up the equation T + W = mv^2/R. since the tension of the rope is so that there is no slack, T = 0. so i get mv = mv^2/R and the masses cancel. for V, i found out that the minimum velocity is just sqrt(r*g).
Right, but you'll have an easier time of it if you think in terms of energy, not speed.
R = 2L/3 and h = L - Lcos(theta). however when i tried plugging all the data in, i get L-Lcos(theta) = 1/2*(2L/3).
Now you lost me. For one, R = L/3. What does h need to be to give the mass its needed speed as it reaches the top of its motion? (Hint: What is the height of the mass at the top of the motion?)

Regarding problem #2:
i know i have to take the derivative of something and set equal to 0 to find the maximum. but of what equation I am not sure.
Use conservation of energy to get an expression for the kinetic energy as a function of spring compression. That's what you need to maximize.

1. What is energy and why is it important?

Energy is the ability to do work. It is important because it is what makes things happen and allows for the movement and functioning of all living things and machines.

2. How is energy transferred and transformed?

Energy can be transferred from one object to another through various means such as heat, light, or mechanical work. It can also be transformed from one form to another, such as from potential to kinetic energy.

3. What is work and how is it related to energy?

Work is the application of a force over a distance. It is related to energy because when work is done, energy is transferred from one object to another, or transformed from one form to another.

4. How is circular motion related to energy?

Circular motion involves the continuous change in direction of an object, which requires a force to be applied. This force can do work on the object, transferring or transforming energy in the process.

5. How can we increase or decrease energy in a system?

The amount of energy in a system can be increased by adding external energy, such as through heat or mechanical work. It can also be decreased by removing energy, such as through energy dissipation or friction.