[Complex Analysis] Branch cuts of the logarithm

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of branch cuts in complex logarithms and how they affect the calculation of a specific value for \log⁡{(\sqrt{3}+i)}. The conversation also explores different ways of finding a single-valued log and the importance of understanding the nature of the branch cut involved in the calculation.
ZeroSum

Homework Statement

Consider a branch of [itex]\log{z}[/itex] analytic in the domain created with the branch cut [itex]x=−y, x≥0.[/itex] If, for this branch, [itex]\log{1}=-2\pi i[/itex], find the following.

[tex]\log⁡{(\sqrt{3}+i)}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\log{z} = \ln{r} + i(\theta + 2k\pi)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This one is actually given in the textbook (odd numbered problem), but I'm having trouble understanding how the answer was arrived at.

The answer given: [itex]0.693 - i\frac{11\pi}{6}[/itex]

I can see easily that [itex]\log{\sqrt{(1)^2 + (\sqrt{3})^2}}=\ln{2} = 0.693...[/itex] The real part here makes sense since it's the (real) log of the modulus of the given complex number [itex]\sqrt{3}+i[/itex].

I can also understand that the branch cut is made along [itex]x=-y[/itex]. Where I'm getting confused is how the cut actually affects this log. So [itex]r = 2, \theta=\frac{\pi}{6}[/itex]. Winding around counterclockwise from 0, we reach [itex]\frac{\pi}{6}[/itex] easily, since it does not cross the branch cut at all.

Does the restriction [itex]\log{1}=-2\pi i[/itex] actually restrict this to moving around the circle clockwise from [itex]-\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex] such that [itex]-\frac{9\pi}{4} < \theta \le -\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex]? When using this log with principal values and restricted to a domain of analyticity of [itex]-\pi < \theta \le \pi[/itex] we traditionally wind around counterclockwise toward [itex]\pi[/itex] and clockwise toward [itex]-\pi[/itex]. This one, if I understand it correctly, winds around [itex]-2\pi[/itex] from the cut so that it's restricted to one set of values for an otherwise multi-valued log.

Why do both of these ways of figuring a single-valued log (the traditional principal valued log cut on the negative x-axis and the one used in this problem) seem to involve winding around the axis different ways? What should I be understanding here that I'm not?

Physics news on Phys.org
The issue is that the angle between the real axis and your point is π/6 , so the total angle from the ray is the angle from the ray to 1--which you're told is 2π , minus the angle from the ray to 31/2+i , which is π/6.

Bacle said:
The issue is that the angle between the real axis and your point is π/6 , so the total angle from the ray is the angle from the ray to 1--which you're told is 2π , minus the angle from the ray to 31/2+i , which is π/6.

It's actually [itex]-2\pi[/itex], not [itex]2\pi[/itex] where the log of 1 is defined. That is what is throwing me. I'm trying to get a clear picture in my head instead of just a plug and chug with the single-valued (analytic) definition of the log in complex, which works but doesn't lead me to using or understanding the nature of the branch cut involved.

I think then it has to see with which is the positive direction, i.e., the direction in which angles increase; I don't know if there are standard rules for this.

1. What are branch cuts in complex analysis?

Branch cuts are a mathematical concept used in complex analysis to define a multi-valued function in a single-valued way. They are essentially a line or curve in the complex plane that is chosen to remove the discontinuity or ambiguity of a multi-valued function.

2. What is the branch cut of the logarithm function?

The branch cut of the logarithm function is a line in the complex plane that extends from the origin to infinity along the negative real axis. This is chosen to remove the discontinuity of the logarithm function, which arises from its multi-valued nature.

3. Why is the branch cut of the logarithm function chosen to be on the negative real axis?

The branch cut of the logarithm function is chosen to be on the negative real axis because it ensures that the function remains continuous and single-valued in the complex plane. This is because the negative real axis is the only line that does not intersect with any other branch cuts of other multi-valued functions.

4. How does the location of the branch cut affect the behavior of the logarithm function?

The location of the branch cut greatly affects the behavior of the logarithm function. If the branch cut is shifted to a different location, the function may become discontinuous or have multiple values in certain regions of the complex plane, which can lead to incorrect or unexpected results.

5. Are there any other multi-valued functions that require branch cuts?

Yes, there are many other multi-valued functions in complex analysis that also require branch cuts to define them in a single-valued way. Some examples include the square root, inverse trigonometric functions, and the complex exponential function.