Designing Brake Circuit for Motor w/ 24V Battery & 0-5V Joystick

In summary, the conversation discusses a project that involves using two electric motors to control an elevation/traverse system. The problem of back-driving in the traverse motor will be solved by adding an electric motor brake that will engage when no voltage is supplied and disengage when 24VDC is applied. The circuit includes a 24V battery, a motor controller, and a 0-5V analog joystick. The brake will be disengaged when the joystick is moved and the motor will operate as usual. The suggested method for the brake is to have it in series with the motor's low impedance winding, which will also release the brake quickly at startup and require no extra circuitry or wiring. The individual seeking advice has a mechanical background and
opmal7
I am working on a project that uses two electric motors to control an elevation/traverse system. A problem with the motor that controls the traverse system is that it is able to be back-driven. To eliminate the back-driving, I will be adding an electric motor brake to mount on the the shaft that sticks out of the back end of the motor (typically where an encoder would mount).

The motor brake will be engaged when no voltage is supplied, and will disengage when 24VDC is applied. The motor itself also runs on 24VDC. I need to be able to supply voltage to the motor brake slightly before (~100-200 ms) applying it to the motor. The circuit includes a 24V battery, which feeds into a motor controller, and I am using a 0-5V analog joystick to control the speed of the motor. Ideally, when I move the joystick a signal would be sent to the motor brake to disengage, and then motor and joystick would operate as normal.

My background is more mechanical than electrical, and I'm hoping maybe one of you electrical buffs can give me some ideas or point me in the right direction. If any more details about the system are needed, let me know and I'll be happy to elaborate. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The usual practice is that the brake winding is low impedance (large wire) and in series with the motor. That way the motor inrush current releases the brake quickly at startup. The other obvious advantage is that no extra circuitry or wiring is needed.

1. How do I determine the appropriate brake circuit for my motor with a 24V battery and 0-5V joystick?

In order to determine the appropriate brake circuit for your motor, you will need to consider the voltage and current requirements of your motor, as well as the specifications of your battery and joystick. You will also need to take into account the type of motor (DC or AC) and the intended use of the motor. It is recommended to consult with a professional engineer or refer to the manufacturer's specifications for guidance.

2. What type of brake circuit is suitable for a motor with a 24V battery and 0-5V joystick?

The type of brake circuit that is suitable for your motor will depend on the type of motor and the level of control required. For a DC motor, a simple on/off brake circuit may be sufficient. For an AC motor, a regenerative braking circuit may be more appropriate. It is important to carefully consider the needs of your specific motor and consult with an expert if necessary.

3. Can I use a generic brake circuit for my motor with a 24V battery and 0-5V joystick?

While it may be tempting to use a generic brake circuit, it is not recommended. The voltage and current requirements of your motor may vary from a generic circuit, which can lead to malfunctions and potential damage to your motor. It is best to use a brake circuit specifically designed for your motor and consult with a professional if necessary.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when designing a brake circuit for my motor?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken when designing a brake circuit for your motor. It is important to carefully consider the voltage and current requirements to ensure the circuit can handle the load. Additionally, proper grounding and insulation should be implemented to prevent any electrical hazards. It is recommended to consult with a professional engineer to ensure all safety measures are taken.

5. Can I control the braking intensity with the 0-5V joystick?

Yes, the 0-5V joystick can be used to control the intensity of the braking. By adjusting the voltage output, the braking force can be increased or decreased. This allows for precise control of the motor and can be useful in various applications such as robotics or electric vehicles.