How to use Heisenberg Uncertainty Equation/Principle?

In summary: The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle states that the product of the uncertainties in position (delta x) and momentum (m*delta v) must be equal to or greater than h/(4pi). This means that the more accurately you know one of these values, the less accurately you know the other. In summary, when using the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle equation, you should plug in the uncertainties for delta x and delta v, and the length of the bacterium is important in determining the uncertainty of the measurement.
cam224
I'm working on a few problems involving the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle and I'm a little confused as to how the equation works and what to plug into the equation. The equation I'm using is: (delta(x)*m*delta(v) = h/(4pi).

In one of the problems I'm working on, I'm given the mass of a bacterium, its velocity, its % uncertainly in velocity, and its length.

For the delta x and delta v, are you supposed to plug in the uncertainties? E.g. the velocity in this problem is 2.00 micrometers with 5% uncertainty...should I plug in .2 micrometers for delta v, as 2*1.05 = 2.1 and 2*.95 = 1.9, and the difference between then is .2? And if so, why would it be important to even know the length of the bacterium, if we just need to know its uncertainty, or is this just extraneous information?

I've tried researching the equation a bit but I can't get any clear explanation of it. Any clarification would be appreciated!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, you should plug in the uncertainties for delta x and delta v. For delta x, you would use the uncertainty in the length of the bacterium, since that is what you are trying to measure. The length of the bacterium is important, as it helps to determine the uncertainty of the measurement. In this case, if you know the exact length of the bacterium, then you can calculate the uncertainty of the measurement more accurately.

What is the Heisenberg uncertainty equation/principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty equation, also known as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time.

What is the mathematical formula for the Heisenberg uncertainty equation?

The mathematical formula for the Heisenberg uncertainty equation is ΔxΔp ≥ h/4π, where Δx represents the uncertainty in position, Δp represents the uncertainty in momentum, and h is Planck's constant.

How is the Heisenberg uncertainty equation/principle used in science?

The Heisenberg uncertainty equation is used in science to understand the limitations of our ability to measure and predict the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It is also used in various fields such as quantum mechanics, quantum chemistry, and quantum computing.

What is the significance of the Heisenberg uncertainty equation/principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty equation is significant because it reveals a fundamental principle of nature - that there is a limit to our ability to measure and predict the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It also paved the way for the development of quantum mechanics and has important implications for our understanding of the nature of reality.

Can the Heisenberg uncertainty equation/principle be violated?

No, the Heisenberg uncertainty equation/principle cannot be violated. It is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and has been experimentally verified numerous times. Any attempts to violate it would result in a violation of other well-established principles of physics.