Automatically redirected to chat?

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty of accessing the PF forum homepage and being automatically redirected to a chat event with Michio Kaku. The person found a way around it by using their browser history and plans to bookmark a subforum for easier access in the future.
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Automatically redirected to chat?

It just took me some effort to get onto PF! I kept getting redirected to chat when I tried entering the site on the forum homepage. With all due respect to Michio Kaku, I'm not that interested in his question/answer session to be automatically directed to it. Was this a hiccup in the system, or intentional? Obviously I found a way around it, but should I expect this on the evenings of chat events? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you going to explain your method for getting around it or will you keep it secret?

BoulderHead said:
Are you going to explain your method for getting around it or will you keep it secret?

Well, if you're here, you already know, don't you? :biggrin: It just required using my browser history to enter directly into one of the forums (lucky for me, I wound up right where I wanted to be, in General Discussion) rather than trying to enter on the main index page. What would have happened if I had cleared the history or been spending time elsewhere on the internet so that wasn't in the recent history? Oh, right, who am I kidding? :biggrin: But if it's going to happen regularly, I'll bookmark one of the subforums to make it easier to get in on those nights.

Moonbear said:
Well, if you're here, you already know, don't you? :biggrin: It just required using my browser history to enter directly into one of the forums (lucky for me, I wound up right where I wanted to be, in General Discussion) rather than trying to enter on the main index page. What would have happened if I had cleared the history or been spending time elsewhere on the internet so that wasn't in the recent history? Oh, right, who am I kidding? :biggrin: But if it's going to happen regularly, I'll bookmark one of the subforums to make it easier to get in on those nights.
It sounds like you might want to bookmark this;
https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=41

What does it mean to be "automatically redirected to chat"?

Being automatically redirected to chat means that when you attempt to access a website or webpage, you are immediately redirected to a chat platform or chat room instead of the original content you were trying to access.

Why do some websites automatically redirect to chat?

Some websites automatically redirect to chat in order to engage with their visitors in real-time, provide customer support, or facilitate communication between users.

What are the benefits of automatically redirecting to chat?

The benefits of automatically redirecting to chat include faster response times, personalized communication, and the ability to resolve issues or answer questions in real-time.

Are there any drawbacks to automatically redirecting to chat?

One potential drawback of automatically redirecting to chat is that it may interrupt the user's browsing experience or seem intrusive. It may also be inconvenient for users who are not interested in chatting or prefer to find information on their own.

How can I disable automatic redirects to chat?

To disable automatic redirects to chat, you can usually adjust your browser settings or use ad-blocker extensions. However, keep in mind that this may also prevent you from accessing important communication or support channels on certain websites.