This might be a silly question but

• Thread starter ResolutE
  • Start date
In summary, at 4-year colleges in the United States, there are general education requirements that include courses in humanities, social sciences, and other subjects not related to your major. These requirements may vary depending on the school and transfer agreements. It is important to research and plan ahead to ensure that you meet these requirements and transfer smoothly to a 4-year college. While it may not be your preference, taking a variety of courses can broaden your education and allow you to interact with different people.
ResolutE
At my 2 year community college, every associates degree requires at least 1 humanity, 1 social science, and 1 of either humanity / social science.

So my question is, at 4 year colleges are these courses required as well for a Bachelors degree? Even in something like a BS in math?

Physics news on Phys.org
What country are you in? Assuming the US, yes. Approximately half of your units/credits will be stuff not related to your degree.

Is it exactly 3 for degrees that are not humanity focused like math degree?

I mean, if I take 3 of them, then transfer to 4 year college and find out I only needed 2..

I don't like humanities...

edit: Yes, United States

Last edited:
It'll probably be a lot more than 3.

Try looking at some 4-year college/university web sites to see their "general education" requirements.

It really depends on your school. In the USA, there are a lot of required courses that don't have anything to do with your major. At my CC they require 6 Arts/Humanities, 3 Communication, 6 English, 2 PE, 6 Social Science, 3 Social Sciance/Arts/Humanities (26 credits) in addition to the 38 credits specific to an AS in Physics. This comes to 64 credits, the minimum credits possible to get an AS at their institution.

The nature of many transfer programs is such that after attaining your AA/AS, the transfer institution waives their "core curriculum" and you can focus on your major. So it's key that you find out which credits transfer. For example if I transfer to an in-state university I won't have to take any more Liberal Arts 101 classes... but if I go out-of-state to a university that doesn't have a matriculation agreement my transcript would be audited credit by credit by some desk jockey who would decide what classes counted.. and which classes I'd have to retake.

So like I said, it depends. If your school has an agreement with other universities then you likely won't need to take more useless classes. If they don't, you will. It's worth mentioning that most universities require more than 3 humanities courses, so I'd suggest following jtbell's advice ASAP. If the university you intend to transfer to requires more than your CC does you'd be better off taking them now while they're cheap.

My advice would be to try not to close your mind so much. The reason most schools make students take courses outside of their major is to broaden the education that they provide. It also enables you to meet and interact intellectually with different people.

Take a good look through your course calendar. There should be something that you find remotely interesting. If you're a mathematics student most univerisities will offer courses like the history of mathematics and/or science, or philosophy courses on logic, ethics, and/or the scientific method.

I got my BA at a small liberal arts college in the US. We had to take 3 writing courses, a diversity course, a math or science, a history or social study, a humanity, and an art.

What is the purpose of asking "This might be a silly question but..."?

The phrase "This might be a silly question but..." is often used as a way to preface a question that the speaker thinks may be obvious or insignificant. It is a way to acknowledge potential self-doubt and to ask for clarification without feeling embarrassed.

Is it okay to ask a "silly" question?

Of course! There is no such thing as a silly question in science. Asking questions is an essential part of the scientific process and it is important to seek clarification and understanding. No question is too small or insignificant.

Why do people use this phrase when asking questions?

Using "This might be a silly question but..." can help to reduce any potential embarrassment or fear of judgment when asking a question. It also shows humility and a willingness to learn, which are important qualities in a scientist.

Can a "silly" question lead to important discoveries?

Absolutely! Many groundbreaking discoveries have been made by asking seemingly simple or "silly" questions. In fact, it is often through questioning the status quo and challenging assumptions that new knowledge is gained.

How should I respond if someone asks a question prefaced with "This might be a silly question but..."?

It is important to respond with respect and encouragement. Remember that there are no silly questions in science and that everyone is on their own learning journey. Responding positively and providing a clear answer can help foster a supportive and collaborative scientific community.