Calculating Time of Freefalling Sphere w/Drag and Varying Air Density

In summary, the sphere has a problem with drag being proportional to v3, and the model for density is too complicated.
ARROW 3
I am looking at the problem of a freefalling sphere and want to calculate time taken to fall a distance. I want to model drag as well as take account of the varying density in the atmosphere.
I am using Drag = 1/2*A*Cd*v2*ρ; A - cross-sectional area, Cd - drag coefficient, v2 - velocity squared and ρ - air density.
I have been able to form a DE and solve it for v and s (distance) but this assumes a constant density of air. I am also having trouble with the hyperbolic trig functions so think i might be taking a 'large hammer to break a small nut'.
Any ideas on how to simplify this or is the DE the right way to approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
The simplest model I've seen just adds a drag proportional to the cube of the instantanious speed.

If you have a problem with density not being contant just replace that part with a function that describes how the density varies. You thinking of something like free-fall from near-space?

Thanks for the reply.
With the simple model you mention, does the drag proportional to v3 replace the drag proportional to v2?
With regards to the function for density, I think the calculus is getting too complicated.
I am looking at freefall near space and want to model time taken to return the Earth's surface.

ARROW 3 said:
Thanks for the reply.
With the simple model you mention, does the drag proportional to v3 replace the drag proportional to v2?
Yes, and it would be empirically fitted.
In general you can make any model you feel you can get away with.
With regards to the function for density, I think the calculus is getting too complicated.
I am looking at freefall near space and want to model time taken to return the Earth's surface.
Well that's what you are going to have to do I'm afraid.

drag has form kf(x)v^2: k = constant so you'll be solving

[tex]m\frac{d^2y}{dt^2} = mg-k\rho(y)\left ( \frac{dy}{dt}\right )^2[/tex]
... you'll have to make an approximation for the air density function anyway ... but you don't need a general solution: you could do this numerically!

If you're modelling a small spehere that means you're probably modelling some type of asteroid. It can't be a spacecraft because they wouldn't follow such a trajectory. If it is an asteroid, what about modelling the reduction in mass due to break up in the atmosphere?

The hyperbolic function the correct one, there is no simpler solution.
Something like V(t) = Vmax*atanh(...*t) with Vmax limited by drag
and x(t) = log(acos(...*t)) if I remember properly.

That was at constant density. If density varies, you need to model it first, like exp(-height), but then the problem is probably too complicated for hand calculation.

One more difficulty: the sphere has no constant Cx. It varies a lot with Reynold's number. The best-known physicists were historically fooled with that. It's because the place where the stream rips off wanders a lot. The corrugated golf ball avoids this, and also decreases its drag.

1. How do I calculate the time of freefalling for a sphere with drag and varying air density?

To calculate the time of freefalling for a sphere with drag and varying air density, you will need to use the equation t = √(2m/ρACd), where t is the time of freefalling, m is the mass of the sphere, ρ is the air density, A is the cross-sectional area of the sphere, and Cd is the drag coefficient. You will also need to take into account the initial velocity of the sphere and the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the role of air density in calculating the time of freefalling for a sphere?

Air density plays a crucial role in calculating the time of freefalling for a sphere. As the air density increases, the drag force on the sphere also increases, which in turn affects the time of freefalling. This is because a higher air density means more air molecules for the sphere to push through, resulting in a higher drag force.

3. How does the drag coefficient affect the time of freefalling for a sphere?

The drag coefficient is a measure of how streamlined an object is. In the context of calculating the time of freefalling for a sphere, a higher drag coefficient means that the sphere experiences more drag force, which results in a longer time of freefalling. This is because a higher drag coefficient means that the sphere is less streamlined and experiences more resistance from the air.

4. Can the time of freefalling for a sphere with drag and varying air density be accurately calculated?

Yes, the time of freefalling for a sphere with drag and varying air density can be accurately calculated using the aforementioned equation. However, it is important to note that there are external factors such as wind and turbulence that can affect the accuracy of the calculation. Therefore, it is recommended to conduct experiments under controlled conditions to verify the calculated time of freefalling.

5. Are there any real-world applications for calculating the time of freefalling for a sphere with drag and varying air density?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for calculating the time of freefalling for a sphere with drag and varying air density. For example, this calculation can be used in the design and testing of parachutes, skydiving, and even sports such as bungee jumping. It can also be used in industries such as aerospace and automotive to optimize the design and performance of vehicles.