Calculate forces and speed on a zipline

In summary, the conversation revolves around building a zipline and the specific questions regarding velocity, forces, and friction. The individual asking for help is not an expert in this field and is seeking clarification and formulas to help others. There is also a discussion about the need for professional advice and insurance when setting up the zipline. The conversation ends with a link to a workbook that may help in calculating the forces involved in a zipline.
sytseelzinga
Hi,

First of all, this is not my expertise so I'm sorry for things that are noted wrong. I would like to know some things about a zipline I'm going to build.

• Velocity of a person after 60 and 74 meters
  • Forces on the anchor points
  • (wind) Forces on the building
  • Forces on the ankerpoints when someone needs to be rescued.

Here is a picture for clarification:
http://eosbuitensport.nl/wp-content/uploads/EIGEN/zipline.jpg

I could find things about ziplines, speeds and forces, but not including friction, not-moving or moving objects.
  • No persons heavier than 100 kg are allowed
  • Rescue situation: 100 kg victim + 80 kg rescuer, hanging still in the middle
  • rope used: Polyester (for friction coefficient, model: Black Marlow rappeling rope)
  • pulley: steel (mode: petzl speed)
  • friction must be included
  • The zipline is tensioned by 'haulers' max force: 300 kg
  • I'd appreciate some formulas + explanation, so I can help others as well.

I really appreciate the help. And I want to let you know, I'm going to build a webbased calculator after this to help others as well.

Gr. Sytse

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, whilst it's an interesting physics problem, I really think you should get professional advice on setting this thing up (and make sure they have insurance cover) and do not implement any solution posted on here before it is signed-off by a professional. I'd strongly recommend not setting up a web-based calculator as you could get sued if somebody's zipline fails.

Hi Polomeister,

Thank you for your reaction. The insurance issue is not a problem in this case. That's already covered. It's just for the background info. Ziplines are always tested (in levels) by the way, so even if there's a calculation error, it will always come out.

About the web-based calculator: it's just to show people what forces/velocities are involved. If they use the calculator they agree with a certain kind of terms (checkbox or something like that).
But thanks for the notification/tip!

OK! As long as it's purely for interest, I posted a workbook earlier today that might get you started.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=701835

1. You'll effectively need to rotate the line (this could be done by simply rotating the direction of the "const force")
2. Start with the mass at one end, with zero velocity
3. You'll need to add a couple of columns into the Force calculation for resistance. My understanding this is linear in velocity for slow speeds but increases to quadratic for higher speeds (but I don't know the boundary)
4. You'll need to input the elasticity constant. I have no idea what this is for your line
5. Note the assumptions/limitations. If someone else works it out for you exactly, I'd be interested to see how their answers compare to the workbook

Best wishes

P

Thanks again, it looks very nice and interesting but it's out of my expertise, sorry.

btw: If I get other professional help / input for the issue I'll post it here.

Thread closed for Moderation

1. How do you calculate the maximum speed on a zipline?

To calculate the maximum speed on a zipline, you need to know the length of the zipline, the elevation change, and the weight of the person on the zipline. You can use the formula: Speed = √(2 x gravity x elevation change). This will give you the theoretical maximum speed, but factors such as friction and air resistance may affect the actual speed.

2. What forces are acting on a person on a zipline?

When a person is on a zipline, there are two main forces acting on them: gravity and tension. Gravity pulls the person downward towards the ground, while tension (from the zipline cable) pulls them horizontally. Friction and air resistance may also play a role in the forces acting on the person.

3. How does the weight of the person affect the speed on a zipline?

The weight of the person will affect the speed on a zipline because it affects the tension in the zipline cable. A heavier person will create more tension in the cable, which can increase the speed. However, other factors such as the length of the zipline and elevation change will also impact the speed.

4. Can you calculate the forces on a zipline with multiple people?

Yes, you can calculate the forces on a zipline with multiple people. Each person's weight will contribute to the total tension in the zipline cable, and the forces will act on each person individually. However, friction and air resistance may vary for each person, so the actual forces may differ from the calculated values.

5. How does the angle of the zipline affect the forces and speed?

The angle of the zipline can affect the forces and speed in a few ways. A steeper angle will result in a greater elevation change, which can increase the speed. However, a steeper angle may also increase the tension in the cable, which can result in greater forces acting on the person. Additionally, the angle may affect the amount of friction and air resistance experienced by the person on the zipline.