Is this the right career for me?

• Thread starter asims33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary, a 24-year-old licensed pilot is considering a career change from aviation to aerospace engineering, combining his passion for physics and aviation. He seeks opinions on the day-to-day work, advancement opportunities, and overall satisfaction in the field. One person suggests getting a degree in Mechanical Engineering with an aerospace concentration, and mentions the demanding nature of the aerospace engineering major. They also advise against pursuing a PhD unless interested in research. The person providing the advice went to Clarkson University for their undergraduate degree.
asims33
Like many before me, I stumbled across this forum searching for answers so here I am.

I tried searching the forums before posting so please forgive me if this type of question has been answered before.

I am 24 and a licensed Pilot. My entire life i have been geared towards going to the Airlines (or cargo) but something in Aviation. In the past few years my tune has somewhat changed and i now find myself wondering if that 20+ day a month out of town life will suit me when i have a family. Long story short the past few years have been spent working at one of my Father's businesses trying to decide what route i want to take: A) Take over the family business (non aviation) B) Continue on a path to the Airlines with no guarantee i will be happy with that.

I have always been a physics nerd and like so many engineers I spent my life taking things apart or trying to fix broken things, even at very young ages. My fiance (who is in vet school) suggested i tie my 2 passions together (physics and aviation) and go for aerospace engineering. While i have thought about this career multiple times i never sat down and gave it time until now, the past few months this has become a real option and i have become more and more interested as time goes on.

The big question is: Will i like the career after school?

I understand that this is a very very broad field and that Aerospace engineers can work on anything from cars to rockets but my question is more about the day to day work, the advancement opportunities and most of all... Real working professional opinions of their work, does it feed your passion, does it ever get old or mundane, do you regret it in any way?

Again i am sorry if this question gets asked a lot. I am not worried about the schooling or the math involved. I am very strong in math and learn quite well.

Any opinions are appreciated, thanks for your time!

Aaron Sims

Engineering news on Phys.org
You'll do well. I knew a guy who was in a similar situation. Worked in the military on aircraft, was honorably discharged due to a medical problem, went to school for aeronautical engineering. His hands on experience was indispensable on our Design Build and Fly team and for any practical questions in general. He ended up doing quite well for himself after graduation.

On important note I would like to add: If possible get your degree in Mechanical Engineering with an Aero concentration or "Mechanical & Aeronautical" Engineering. Don't go pure Aero because you will not get a job...I am living proof. Ignore everyone who tells you otherwise.

Your biggest concern will probably be balancing family life and finances. Aerospace engineering is one of the most demanding majors you can take.

Aero51 said:
You'll do well. I knew a guy who was in a similar situation. Worked in the military on aircraft, was honorably discharged due to a medical problem, went to school for aeronautical engineering. His hands on experience was indispensable on our Design Build and Fly team and for any practical questions in general. He ended up doing quite well for himself after graduation.

On important note I would like to add: If possible get your degree in Mechanical Engineering with an Aero concentration or "Mechanical & Aeronautical" Engineering. Don't go pure Aero because you will not get a job...I am living proof. Ignore everyone who tells you otherwise.

Your biggest concern will probably be balancing family life and finances. Aerospace engineering is one of the most demanding majors you can take.

I appreciate the reply, are you currently working in the field or still looking for work?

Would perusing a PhD in this field be worth it?

Thanks again for the reply it was very helpful.

On a side note, where did you attend school?

Aaron

Im in grad school now. After graduation I had a major life setback that changed everything.

You do not need grad work in Engineering to obtain employment, unless you want to do research work.

I went to undergrad at a great little school in NY: Clarkson University.

1. What skills do I need to have to be successful in this career?

The specific skills needed for a career can vary depending on the field, but some common skills that are important for most scientific careers include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, communication, and data analysis. It's also important to have a strong understanding of the scientific method and to be able to work well in a team.

2. How can I determine if this career is a good fit for me?

One way to determine if a career is a good fit is to research the job duties and responsibilities of the specific role you are interested in. You can also talk to professionals in the field, participate in job shadowing or internships, and take career assessments to identify your strengths and interests.

3. What education or training is required for this career?

The educational requirements for a scientific career can vary greatly. Some careers may only require a bachelor's degree, while others may require a master's or doctoral degree. It's important to research the specific requirements for the career you are interested in and to also consider any necessary certifications or licenses.

4. What job opportunities are available in this career?

The job opportunities in a scientific career can vary depending on the field and industry. Some common job opportunities include research scientist, laboratory technician, data analyst, science writer, and science educator. It's important to research the job market in your specific field of interest to understand what types of opportunities are available.

5. What is the salary potential for this career?

The salary potential for a scientific career can vary depending on factors such as education, experience, and location. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for all scientific occupations was $69,020 in May 2020. However, salaries can range significantly depending on the specific job title and industry.