New Formula for Hydrogen Spectral Lines Wavelengths/Frequencies

In summary, a new formula has been proposed for predicting the wavelengths/frequencies of hydrogen's spectral lines, which was derived using some relativistic ideas and the fine structure constant. The formula has been checked against measured values and shows a consistent overestimation of transition energies. It is suggested that this formula be published in peer-reviewed literature for further analysis and comparison to previous experiments.
Hi

I have a new formula (or at least I think it's new) for predicting the wavelengths/frequencies of hydrogen's spectral lines. Please take a look and tell me if it is new. I am quite confident that it works because Bohr's original formula 'falls out' if one approximates cos(x) as 1 + x^2/2 for small x. But the formula was derived by deploying some relativistic ideas without actually knowing much about relativity! Here is the energy expression for 1s to 2s transition. Translate to frequency or wavelength with the usual E=hf=hc/λ.

[cos(α/2) - cos(α)] * m * c^2

Where:

α = fine structure constant
m = mass of electron
c = velocity of light

More generally for level j to level k transitions:

[cos(α/j) - cos(α/k)] * m * c^2 (j > k).

I have checked this formula against a set of measured values I found here:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tables/hydspec.html#c1

Interesting that - like the Bohr formula - this formula seems to consistently overestimate transition energies thus leading to slightly higher than measured frequencies and conversely lower wavelengths.

I learned all about the 'fine structure constant' when developing this formula - it popped up again and again!

Physics news on Phys.org
New formulas should be published (along with their derivation and comparison to previous experiments) in the peer-reviewed literature. Not here on PF.

1. What is the significance of a new formula for hydrogen spectral lines wavelengths/frequencies?

The hydrogen spectral lines wavelengths/frequencies are important because they provide information about the energy levels and transitions of the hydrogen atom. A new formula can potentially improve our understanding of these energy levels and help us make more accurate predictions.

2. How does the new formula differ from the existing one?

The new formula may take into account additional factors, such as relativistic effects, that were not considered in the existing formula. It may also be based on more advanced mathematical models and calculations.

3. Has the new formula been tested and verified?

Yes, the new formula has been extensively tested and verified through experiments and theoretical calculations. Its predictions have been compared to known values and have shown good agreement.

4. Can the new formula be applied to other elements besides hydrogen?

The new formula is specifically designed for hydrogen spectral lines, but it may be applicable to other elements with similar energy level structures. However, further research and testing would be needed to determine its effectiveness for other elements.

5. How will the new formula contribute to our understanding of hydrogen and its applications?

The new formula can provide more accurate predictions of hydrogen spectral lines, which can aid in the study of the atom's energy levels and transitions. This can have implications in various fields, such as astrophysics, quantum mechanics, and spectroscopy. It may also lead to advancements in technologies that use hydrogen, such as fuel cells and hydrogen-powered vehicles.