Lorentz Transform of Radial & Longitudinal Dependent Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to Lorentz transform the magnetic field in addition to the electric field when considering a Gaussian distribution of particles with a radial electric field. It is suggested to consult advanced EM books or the provided literature for the proper transformation.
matt_crouch
Basically I am trying to lorentz transform the magnetic field along θ of a bunch particles which have a gaussian distribution to the radial electric field. However the magnetic field in θ is dependent on the longitiudinal distribution.
Now initially i thought we would just use the standard LT,

x=x'
y=y'
s'=/gamma (s-βct).
Now someone suggested to me that infact the transform will be non trivial when a longitudinal dependent radial field is perpendicular to the boost axis.
Can someone suggest some literature that would point me in the right direction?

Just for reference the field follows as,

B_{\theta}=Const \times r^(-1/2)e^{-r^{2}/2*sigma_{r}^{2}} e^{-s^{2}/2\sigma_{s}^{2}}

Sorry i am not sure how to make it latex

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to Lorentz transform the B vector also. This is described in advanced EM books.

matt_crouch said:
B_{\theta}=Const \times r^(-1/2)e^{-r^{2}/2*sigma_{r}^{2}} e^{-s^{2}/2\sigma_{s}^{2}}

Sorry i am not sure how to make it latex
Put a double-dollar before and after
$$B_{\theta}=Const \times r^(-1/2)e^{-r^{2}/2*sigma_{r}^{2}} e^{-s^{2}/2\sigma_{s}^{2}}$$
Then correct the errors
$$B_{\theta}=\mbox{Const} \times r^{-1/2}e^{-r^{2}/2 \sigma_{r}^{2}} e^{-s^{2}/2\sigma_{s}^{2}}$$
...if that's what you meant.

matt_crouch said:
Now someone suggested to me that infact the transform will be non trivial when a longitudinal dependent radial field is perpendicular to the boost axis.
Can someone suggest some literature that would point me in the right direction?

Maybe this will help:

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node123.html

which presents the Lorentz transformation for E and B fields. To see the derivation, you have to work backwards through the preceding pages.

Ok thanks.. I'll have a look through

1. What is the Lorentz Transform of a Radial and Longitudinal Dependent Magnetic Field?

The Lorentz Transform is a mathematical formula that describes how an electromagnetic field, such as a magnetic field, changes when observed from different reference frames. In the case of a radial and longitudinal dependent magnetic field, the transform takes into account the direction and strength of the field in both the radial and longitudinal directions.

2. Why is the Lorentz Transform of a Radial and Longitudinal Dependent Magnetic Field important?

This transform is important in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields in different reference frames, which is crucial in fields such as relativity and particle physics. It helps us accurately describe and predict the behavior of these fields in different situations.

3. How is the Lorentz Transform of a Radial and Longitudinal Dependent Magnetic Field calculated?

The formula for the Lorentz Transform is a set of equations that involve the speed of light, the strength and direction of the magnetic field, and the relative velocity between the two reference frames. By plugging in these values, we can calculate the transformed values of the magnetic field in the new reference frame.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Lorentz Transform of a Radial and Longitudinal Dependent Magnetic Field?

This transform is used in a variety of applications, including particle accelerators, where it is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles moving at high speeds. It is also used in the design of electric motors and generators, as well as in the study of electromagnetic waves and their propagation.

5. Are there any limitations to the Lorentz Transform of a Radial and Longitudinal Dependent Magnetic Field?

Like any mathematical model, the Lorentz Transform has its limitations. It is based on certain assumptions, such as the absence of external forces, and may not accurately describe all situations. However, it has been extensively tested and is widely accepted as an accurate representation of the behavior of electromagnetic fields.