Two Time Dimensions: Understanding the Possibilities & Problems

In summary, the conversation explores the concept of having two time dimensions in a theory, specifically using an SO(2,3) symmetry. This would allow for time-rotations and potentially connect casually disconnected events. The speaker is curious about the potential problems and mentions the concept of closed timelike curves and Itzhak Bars's work on "two-time physics." They also mention that this idea may stem from non-mainstream science and refer to the Wikipedia article for more information.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I am pretty sure this question must have been asked before... However I was always wondering, what would a theory be like if we allowed to have two time-dimensions (so I think a SO(2,3) symmetry). In general this would allow time-rotations / rotations of the arrow of time, so I guess the light cones could also connect casually disconnected events.
What problems would that cause?
I am also asking because even at the extra dim cases (although this is a little off the SR/GR topic) we choose the extra dimensions -the ones we compactify- to be spatial ones, and not time...

Physics news on Phys.org
Closed timelike curves arise, for instance.

The wiki left me with the idea that it's a considerate theory...
Itzhak Bars's work on "two-time physics", inspired by the SO(10,2) symmetry of the extended supersymmetry structure of M-theory, is the most recent and systematic development of the concept (see also F-theory).
At least makes me think of that.
However I am not trying to get into non-mainstream science talk and stuff...rather understanding what's the problems arising from it...

The concept of multiple time dimensions is a fascinating topic that has been explored by many theoretical physicists. The idea of having two time dimensions, as you mentioned, would involve a SO(2,3) symmetry, which is a rotation in both time and space. This would essentially mean that time could be rotated just like space can be rotated in our three-dimensional world.

One of the main problems with this concept is that it goes against our current understanding of how time operates in our universe. Time is considered to be a fundamental dimension that is linear and unidirectional. All physical laws and processes are based on this concept of time, and introducing another time dimension would require a complete overhaul of our current theories.

Additionally, having two time dimensions would introduce a lot of complexities and complications in our understanding of causality. The concept of causality is based on the notion that events are connected through a single time dimension. With two time dimensions, it would be possible for events to be causally disconnected, as you mentioned. This would raise a lot of questions about the nature of causation and how it would operate in a universe with two time dimensions.

Moreover, as you mentioned, the idea of extra dimensions is often discussed in the context of string theory and other theories beyond our current understanding of physics. However, in these theories, the extra dimensions are usually compactified, meaning they are curled up and not directly observable. Introducing an extra time dimension would require us to find a way to compactify it, which would bring about its own set of challenges.

In conclusion, while the concept of multiple time dimensions is intriguing, it poses significant challenges and goes against our current understanding of the universe. It would require a complete overhaul of our theories and raise many questions about the fundamental nature of time and causality.

1. How many time dimensions are there?

Currently, we only have evidence and understanding of one time dimension. However, some theories suggest the possibility of multiple time dimensions, but these are still speculative and unproven.

2. What are the benefits of understanding multiple time dimensions?

Understanding multiple time dimensions could potentially lead to a deeper understanding of the universe and its workings, as well as provide insights into concepts such as time travel and the flow of time.

3. Are there any practical applications for understanding multiple time dimensions?

Currently, there are no known practical applications for understanding multiple time dimensions. However, as our understanding of these concepts grows, it is possible that new technologies and advancements could be made.

4. What are the potential problems or challenges of studying multiple time dimensions?

One of the main challenges of studying multiple time dimensions is that our current scientific frameworks and mathematical models may not be able to fully explain or account for them. Additionally, it is difficult to conduct experiments or gather evidence for something that may exist outside of our observable universe.

5. How can we better understand the possibilities of multiple time dimensions?

One way to better understand the possibilities of multiple time dimensions is through theoretical physics and mathematical models. Scientists can also continue to study and analyze any potential anomalies or phenomena that may offer insights into the existence of multiple time dimensions.