Coordinate Charts vs Generalized Coordinates

In summary, there are two types of general coordinates: one used in spacetime charts and the other in Lagrangian representations. The former has 4 coordinates that uniquely identify an event, while the latter can have an arbitrary number of coordinates representing degrees of freedom. Although there may not be a formal relationship between the two, they are both defined on a manifold and the Lagrangian function maps the tangent bundle of the configuration space to real numbers.
When you have a general coordinate chart on spacetime you have a lot of freedom to pick your coordinates, but you are always going to have 4 coordinates and each 4-tuple uniquely (in that chart) identifies one event in the manifold.

When you are choosing generalized coordinates for a lagrangian the generalized coordinates represent degrees of freedom of your system. So you can have an arbitrary number of coordinates and each set of coordinates identifies a state of the system.

Is there any sort of formal relationship between the two types of general coordinates?

Sorry if the question is vague, I am not sure what I am looking for, but it kind of bothers me that the manifold coordinates are somewhat "special" compared to the lagrangian coordinates.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that no matter how you choose your "generalized coordinates", they are given by a coordinate chart on a manifold called the configuration space of the system. The Lagrangian is a function from the tangent bundle of that manifold into the real numbers. The action functional takes curves in the configuration space to real numbers. See "Mathematical methods of classical mechanics" by V.I. Arnold, in particular chapter 4, pages 75-83.

1. What is the difference between coordinate charts and generalized coordinates?

Coordinate charts and generalized coordinates are both used to describe the position of a point or object in space. However, coordinate charts refer to a specific set of coordinates, such as Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z), while generalized coordinates refer to a set of coordinates that are not necessarily predetermined. They can vary depending on the system being studied.

2. How are coordinate charts and generalized coordinates used in physics?

In physics, coordinate charts and generalized coordinates are used to describe the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects in space. They are essential for understanding the motion and dynamics of systems, particularly in classical mechanics and general relativity.

3. Can coordinate charts and generalized coordinates be used interchangeably?

No, coordinate charts and generalized coordinates are not interchangeable. Coordinate charts refer to a specific set of coordinates, while generalized coordinates are a more general concept that can vary depending on the system being studied.

4. What are the advantages of using generalized coordinates?

Generalized coordinates offer a more flexible and powerful way to describe the position and motion of objects compared to coordinate charts. They can simplify complex systems and make it easier to analyze and solve problems in physics and engineering.

5. How do I know which type of coordinates to use for a particular system?

The choice between using coordinate charts or generalized coordinates depends on the system being studied and the specific problem at hand. In some cases, one may be more convenient or intuitive than the other. It is important to understand the differences and applications of both to determine which one is most suitable for a particular system.