Equation of motion for a particle in a potential V(x)

In summary,If I have particle moving in the potential V(x), when I write equation of motion and when I integrate this equation do I need to look V'(x) as function of time, or I just could write x(t)=-V'(x)t+\int^t_0q(t)dt?It depends on how V is defined. According to what you wrote V=V(x) is just a function of space and hence you are correct. However, because V is potential, when you write equation in correct form, you also need to include a constant of differentiation (like a constant of integration) which is mathematically wrong. Additionally, because x is
LagrangeEuler
If I have particle moving in the potential ##V(x)##, when I write equation of motion
## \frac{dx}{dt}=-V'(x)+q(t)##
and when I integrate this equation do I need to look ##V'(x)## as function of time, or I just could write
## x(t)=-V'(x)t+\int^t_0q(t)dt ##
Thanks for your answer!

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on how V is defined. According to what you wrote V=V(x) is just a function of space and hence you are correct.

Anyway, what's q(t)? And how did you obtain that equation of motion?

Yes but ##x=x(t)## and ##V=V(x)##. So I am confused. But because ##V(x)## is potential I think that I write equation in correct form. This is potential in which particle moves.

It seems you're using kind of a "constant of differentiation"(like a constant of integration) which is mathematically wrong!
You should add a constant only when you integrate something, not when you differentiate something!

No, you are not allowed to integrate the equations of motion like that. Even if V does not depend explicitly on time, it does so implicitly through x.

I also agree with earlier answers that your EoM looks weird.

Yes but you know. Particle is moving in some potential ##V(x)##. In certain moment ##t## it has coordinate ##x(t)##. ##q(t)## is certain pulse. How do you write down this solution?

LagrangeEuler said:
Yes but you know. Particle is moving in some potential ##V(x)##. In certain moment ##t## it has coordinate ##x(t)##. ##q(t)## is certain pulse. How do you write down this solution?

Well...You can't write the solution without knowing what is q(t)!

LagrangeEuler said:

Well...You can't write the solution without knowing what is q(t)!

Also the following is wrong.
LagrangeEuler said:
## x(t)=-V'(x)t+\int^t_0q(t)dt ##
Because x is an unknown function of time so you can't integrate. That's called a differential equation and it has its own methods.

1. What is a particle moving in potential?

A particle moving in potential refers to a physical system in which a particle or object is subjected to a force that depends on its position in space. This force is known as the potential and can be either attractive or repulsive. The motion of the particle in this system is determined by the interaction between the particle and the potential.

2. What is the relation between potential and energy in a particle moving in potential?

In a particle moving in potential system, the potential energy is directly related to the potential. As the particle moves in the potential, its kinetic energy changes, and the difference between the total energy (kinetic + potential) remains constant. This means that as the particle moves towards a lower potential, its kinetic energy increases, and vice versa.

3. How is the motion of a particle in potential described mathematically?

The motion of a particle in potential is described by the Schrödinger equation in quantum mechanics and the Newton's Second Law of Motion in classical mechanics. In both cases, the equations take into account the potential, the mass of the particle, and the initial conditions of the system to determine the position and velocity of the particle at any given time.

4. Can a particle moving in potential have a stable equilibrium?

Yes, a particle moving in potential can have a stable equilibrium, where the net force acting on the particle is zero, and any small displacement from this equilibrium will result in a restoring force that brings the particle back to its original position. This is known as a harmonic oscillator, and it is a common example of a stable equilibrium in particle potential systems.

5. What are some real-world applications of particle moving in potential?

The concept of particle moving in potential is used in various fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. Some examples include the motion of electrons in an atom, the behavior of particles in a magnetic field, the motion of planets in the gravitational potential of a star, and the movement of a pendulum. Understanding particles in potential is crucial in studying and developing technologies such as semiconductors, lasers, and medical imaging devices.