Why does light take an extremum path according to Fermat's Principle?

In summary, Fermat's Principle is a principle in optics proposed by Pierre de Fermat in the 17th century that states light will always take the shortest possible path between two points. It is used to determine the path of light in different mediums by considering the speed of light and distance. While not always completely accurate, it is a useful tool for understanding light behavior. Additionally, it has been applied in various fields such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and economics for finding efficient solutions.
Nitin Gupta
According to Fermat's Principle (modified version) a light ray takes an extremum path. Can anyone explain the physical reason behind this? I mean, sure the light can take the least path but how can it take the longest path? And if it can indeed take the longest path, why not the paths shorter than longest? (Please, I don't want mathematical explanation. I am new here, if this is posted at wrong place or any other problem please PM me)

Physics news on Phys.org
People can tell many different things but they all boil down to this: That's the way it is!

1. What is Fermat's Principle?

Fermat's Principle is a principle in optics that states light will always take the shortest possible path between two points.

2. Who came up with Fermat's Principle?

Pierre de Fermat, a French mathematician, first proposed Fermat's Principle in the 17th century.

3. How is Fermat's Principle used in optics?

Fermat's Principle is used to determine the path of light in different mediums, such as air or water, by considering the speed of light in each medium and the distance between the two points.

4. Is Fermat's Principle always accurate?

Fermat's Principle is a simplified version of the true nature of light and is not always completely accurate. However, it is a useful tool for understanding the behavior of light in most situations.

5. Can Fermat's Principle be applied to other areas of science?

Yes, Fermat's Principle has been applied in various fields such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and even economics. It can be used to find the most efficient path or solution in a given situation.