What physics concepts can improve my mini-project design?

• Thread starter ballahboy
  • Start date
In summary, our teacher supplied us with one 8.5x11 sheet of paper, 2 paper clips and 12in of masking tape. We have to put this stuff together and release it from about 9 feet above the ground. I has to stay in the air for 8 seconds or more and land inside a box on the floor (which means it should fall straight down). I've tried a few things but couldn't get the paper to stay in the air for more than 4 seconds. Any suggestions is appreciate. Thanks for the suggestions.
ballahboy
Our teacher supplied us with one 8.5x11 sheet of paper, 2 paper clips and 12in of masking tape. What we have to do is put this stuff together and release it from about 9 feet above the ground. I has to stay in the air for 8 seconds or more and land inside a box on the floor (which means it should fall straight down). I've tried a few things but couldn't get the paper to stay in the air for more than 4 seconds. Any suggestions is appreciate. Thanks

Edit: I forgot.. we also get to use about 6 inches of bungee string

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ballahboy said:
Our teacher supplied us with one 8.5x11 sheet of paper, 2 paper clips and 12in of masking tape. What we have to do is put this stuff together and release it from about 9 feet above the ground. I has to stay in the air for 8 seconds or more and land inside a box on the floor (which means it should fall straight down). I've tried a few things but couldn't get the paper to stay in the air for more than 4 seconds. Any suggestions is appreciate. Thanks

Edit: I forgot.. we also get to use about 6 inches of bungee string

You might try a pinwheel.

OlderDan said:
You might try a pinwheel.
Yeah i tried the paper helicopter thing but that only lasted me a little over 3 seconds

Okay, Here's an Idea.

In attachment 1, fold along the dotted lines and cut along the solid lines. The grey area shaped like a star is the one you need. the rest, you can throw away.

once you fold the lines, you should end up with something that looks like attachment 2. then, fold the bottom corners and you should end up with the second part of attachment 2. that will catch air, making it slower.

put tape where the light blue rectangles are in attachment 2. then put paperclips to balance the figure.

thanks but is it just me or are the attachments not working?

they haven't been approved yet

Thanks for the suggestions. How can I explain the physics behind this?

behind what?

The physics involved in this experiment.. I've started with talking about gravity and air resistance. Is there anything else i can add to this?

What is a mini-project?

A mini-project is a small-scale research project that typically involves a specific topic or question. It is often used as a learning tool in academic settings to help students develop their research skills and apply their knowledge in a practical way.

How do I choose a topic for my mini-project?

The topic for your mini-project should be something that interests you and is relevant to your field of study. You can also consult with your instructor or peers for ideas or choose a topic from a list provided by your course.

What is the purpose of a mini-project?

The purpose of a mini-project is to help you develop your research skills and apply your knowledge in a practical way. It also allows you to explore a specific topic in depth and gain a deeper understanding of it.

What are the steps involved in completing a mini-project?

The steps involved in completing a mini-project typically include choosing a topic, conducting research, analyzing your findings, and presenting your results. It is important to follow the guidelines provided by your instructor and to keep track of your progress throughout the project.

How long does it take to complete a mini-project?

The time it takes to complete a mini-project can vary depending on the topic and the scope of the project. It is important to set a realistic timeline and to manage your time effectively to ensure that you can complete the project on time.