Compute the Quotient: [Z+Z]/[2Z+2Z]

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    quotient
In summary, "Compute the Quotient" means to find the result of dividing one number by another. Z represents the set of all integers, both positive and negative, while 2Z represents the set of all even integers. To divide sets of numbers, we take each element in the first set and divide it by each element in the second set, then combine the resulting quotients into a new set. The quotient of two sets can be a set, such as in [Z+Z]/[2Z+2Z], and to check if the quotient is correct, you can multiply the divisor by the quotient and see if you get the original dividend.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All:

We know that the quotient ## \mathbb Z /2\mathbb Z ## ~ ## \mathbb Z/2 ## . Is there a nice

way of computing the quotient : ## [\mathbb Z(+) \mathbb Z ]/[ 2\mathbb Z(+)2\mathbb Z]##

I know the long way, but I wonder if there is a nicer, shorter way to do it.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks.

1. What does "Compute the Quotient" mean?

"Compute the Quotient" means to find the result of dividing one number by another. In this case, we are dividing the set of integers (Z+Z) by the set of even integers (2Z+2Z).

2. What is the difference between Z and 2Z?

Z represents the set of all integers, both positive and negative. 2Z represents the set of all even integers, which are multiples of 2. So while Z includes all integers, 2Z only includes even integers.

3. How do you divide sets of numbers?

To divide sets of numbers, we use a similar process to dividing single numbers. We take each element in the first set and divide it by each element in the second set, and then we combine all the resulting quotients into a new set.

4. Can the quotient of two sets be a set?

Yes, the quotient of two sets can be a set. In this case, the quotient of [Z+Z]/[2Z+2Z] will be a set of numbers, since we are dividing two sets of numbers.

5. How do I know if my quotient is correct?

You can check if your quotient is correct by multiplying the divisor (2Z+2Z) by the quotient and seeing if you get the original dividend (Z+Z). In this case, if you multiply (2Z+2Z) by the quotient, you should get (Z+Z) as the result, indicating that your quotient is correct.