Pressure and Kinetic Energy of Gases

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between pressure, kinetic energy, and temperature in different gases contained in identical flasks. The question is posed as to which flask would have the greatest kinetic energy, with some considering the pressure and others mentioning the equal number of moles in each flask. Ultimately, it is determined that the temperature is the key factor in determining kinetic energy, as it is the average kinetic energy of a substance, and therefore all flasks have the same kinetic energy. The pressure and substance in the flask do not have any influence on the kinetic energy.
scorpa
Hi Everyone,

I just have a quick question about pressure and kinetic energy of gases. Say you have 3 identical flasks filled with 3 different gases, Flask A contains CO at 760 torr Flask B contains N2 at 250 torr and Flask C contains H2 at 100torr and all three flasks are at a temperature of 0.0 degrees celsius. In which flask will the molecules have the greatest kinetic energy? I was thinking that the flask with the highest pressure (A) will have the most kinetic energy, but the fact that each flask contains a different gas makes it a bit more difficult. I'm assuming that because the flasks are identical there are an equal number of moles of each gas. Which do you guys think would have the greatest kinetic energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what temperature means?

I think that's the key here...

Is one of the constraints that there is an equal amount of mass in each flask?

They don't say anything about the mass being equal in all the flasks, the question is listed word for word as it appears in the book. There is another option to say that there is not enough information to say which flask has the highest kinetic energy, which I am leaning towards at this point because no matter what equation I look at to try and see what would have the highest energy it seems like I am missing a variable (usually moles).

Lol temperature is the average kinetic energy of a substance. Therefore all flasks have the same kinetic energy. Thank you.

So the pressure of the flask and the substance in the flask have no influence on the kinetic energy at all?

1. What is pressure in gases?

Pressure in gases is the force exerted by gas particles per unit area on the walls of a container. It is caused by the constant collisions and movement of gas particles.

2. How is pressure related to the kinetic energy of gas particles?

According to the kinetic theory of gases, pressure is directly proportional to the average kinetic energy of gas particles. This means that as the kinetic energy of gas particles increases, so does the pressure.

3. What factors affect the pressure of a gas?

The pressure of a gas is affected by factors such as temperature, volume, and number of gas particles. An increase in any of these factors will result in an increase in pressure, while a decrease will lead to a decrease in pressure.

4. What is the kinetic energy of a gas particle?

Kinetic energy of a gas particle is the energy that it possesses due to its motion. It is directly proportional to the mass and square of velocity of the particle. In other words, particles with higher mass and velocity will have higher kinetic energy.

5. How is the pressure of a gas calculated?

The pressure of a gas can be calculated using the ideal gas law: P = (nRT)/V, where P is pressure, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, T is temperature, and V is volume. This equation shows that pressure is inversely proportional to volume and directly proportional to temperature.