Solving Canonical Question: Find Q, P, r for A={(1,2,1),(2,4,2),(3,6,3)}

• Thread starter franky2727
  • Start date
In summary, Terry believes he has found a basis for his matrix A and also a basis for his canonical matrix Q. He is not sure if this is correct, but he is sure he is on the right track.
franky2727
got stucked on this question but had a pritty good bash at it and might possibly be getting close to the answer

right so the question in full is let A={(1,2,1),(2,4,2),(3,6,3)}

find r and real invertible matrices Q and P such that Q-1AP={(Ir,0)(0,0)
where each zero denotes a matrix of zeros (not nessessarily the same size in each case)

Paying special attension to write down the bases of r3 with respect to which Q-1AP represents the mapping x->Ax

right now I've started off by row and column reducing A to get {(1,0,0)(0,0,0)(0,0,0)}
and then by applying the row and column opperations to the 3x3 and 3x3 respectivly Identity matrices i ended up with Q-1={(1,0,0)(-2,1,0)(-3,0,1)} Q={(1,0,0)(1/2,1,0)(1-3,0,1)} and finaly p={(1,-2,-1)(0,1,0)(0,0,1) which did indeed satisfy the equation Q-1AP=I1

now the next part of the question i didn't/don't really understand "Paying special attension to write down the bases of r3 with respect to which Q-1AP represents the mapping x->Ax"

however i looked at what i believe to be a similar question on my past homework questions (this question is from a previous exam paper so i don't have answers) and came to the conclusion (not sure if this is right or not this is my question to you really) that i was being asked to find a basis for my matrix A and then a basis for my canonical so this would just be {(1,2,1)} and {(1,0,0)} respectivly? I'm pritty sure this is wrong as it just seems too easy althought i believe i am on the right lines, could someone please elaberate on my findings. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
posted on wrong post sorry

Last edited:
thought i had a reply there, guessing no one has replied since terry posted and you all thought he had offered a solution, o well, anyone?

What is the purpose of solving a canonical question?

The purpose of solving a canonical question is to find a specific set of values (usually denoted as Q, P, and r) that can accurately represent a given set of data or elements. This allows for a more concise and organized representation of the data, making it easier to analyze and interpret.

How do you solve a canonical question?

To solve a canonical question, you first need to identify the given set of data or elements (in this case, A={(1,2,1),(2,4,2),(3,6,3)}). Then, you need to determine the relationship between the data and the unknown values Q, P, and r. Finally, you can use algebraic methods, such as substitution or elimination, to solve for the unknown values.

What are the steps involved in solving a canonical question?

The steps involved in solving a canonical question include: 1) Identifying the given set of data or elements, 2) Determining the relationship between the data and the unknown values, 3) Using algebraic methods to create equations, 4) Solving the equations for the unknown values, and 5) Checking the solutions to ensure they accurately represent the data.

What do Q, P, and r represent in a canonical question?

In a canonical question, Q, P, and r typically represent unknown values that are used to represent a given set of data or elements in a concise and organized manner. Q and P are often used to denote the independent and dependent variables, respectively, and r is used to represent a constant or coefficient.

What are some real-world applications of solving canonical questions?

There are many real-world applications of solving canonical questions, including data analysis, mathematical modeling, and scientific research. For example, in physics, canonical questions can be used to find the equations of motion for a given system, while in economics, they can be used to analyze supply and demand relationships. Additionally, canonical questions are commonly used in machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms to represent complex data sets in a simpler form.