Fourier transform missing 2pi?

In summary, the 1/2pi is not always included in the definition of the Fourier transform. Sometimes it is written outside the integrand, while other times it is incorporated into the exponential.
philip041
I keep doing questions on Fourier transforms where the 1/2pi isn't there.

Example:

[tex]

F\left[\frac{\partial^2u\left(x,y\right)}{\partial x^2}\right]

[/tex]

for which I thought the next step would be

[tex]

\[
\frac{1}{2\pi}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\frac{\partial^2u\left(x,y\right)}{\partial x^2} e^{-isx} dx
\[

[/tex]

but I keep finding it written in my answer booklet thing

[tex]

\[
\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\frac{\partial^2u\left(x,y\right)}{\partial x^2} e^{-isx} dx
\[

[/tex]

I have found one example in my book where the 1/2pi appears, why does it not feature in these examples?

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
philip041 said:
I keep doing questions on Fourier transforms where the 1/2pi isn't there.

Example:

[tex]

F\left[\frac{\partial^2u\left(x,y\right)}{\partial x^2}\right]

[/tex]

for which I thought the next step would be

[tex]

\[
\frac{1}{2\pi}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\frac{\partial^2u\left(x,y\right)}{\partial x^2} e^{-isx} dx
\[

[/tex]

but I keep finding it written in my answer booklet thing

[tex]

\[
\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\frac{\partial^2u\left(x,y\right)}{\partial x^2} e^{-isx} dx
\[

[/tex]

I have found one example in my book where the 1/2pi appears, why does it not feature in these examples?

Cheers!

Sometimes the 2pi is written on the outside like you did or sometimes it is incorporated into the exponential as [tex]e^{-2i\pi sx} [/tex] (substitution in the integrand then gets you from the 2pi in the expo to the outside). Make sure that it is of the same form in your book.

ok, i checked my book and there was no indication that 2pi was incorporated into the s but there was also nothing to say against it so thank you!

Typically the Fourier transform over "real space" variables (space and time, say) are defined without the factor of 1/2pi in them. It is the inverse transforms from frequency space (k and omega) that have the 1/2pi factors in them. (At least in physics - and engineering? Mathematicians may define the transforms symmetricly so that both the transform and inverse transform have a factor of [itex]1/\sqrt{2\pi}[/itex] out front.)

just looked at the question that i found with a 2pi in and what you said, (mute), makes a lot of sense cheers!

1. What is the Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function or signal into its individual frequency components. It is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics to analyze and process signals and data.

2. What does "missing 2pi" mean in the context of Fourier transform?

"Missing 2pi" refers to the fact that the Fourier transform does not include a factor of 2π in its formula. This is due to the fact that 2π is a constant and does not affect the frequency components of a signal. However, in some cases, it is necessary to include this factor in order to accurately represent the signal.

3. How does "missing 2pi" affect the Fourier transform?

The absence of the 2π factor in the Fourier transform formula can cause discrepancies in the frequency components of a signal. In some cases, it may result in a scaling issue where the amplitude of the frequency components is not accurately represented. This can lead to errors in signal analysis and processing.

4. When should the Fourier transform include the 2pi factor?

In general, the 2π factor can be omitted in the Fourier transform when working with continuous signals or functions. However, it should be included when working with discrete signals or functions, such as in digital signal processing. It is also important to consider the specific context and application of the Fourier transform when deciding whether to include the 2π factor.

5. How can "missing 2pi" be addressed in the Fourier transform?

If the 2π factor needs to be included in the Fourier transform, it can be added as a constant in the formula. Alternatively, some software applications may have an option to include the 2π factor in the Fourier transform calculation. It is important to carefully consider whether the 2π factor is necessary for the specific context and application of the Fourier transform.