Why do red color attenuate in water the most and in air the least?

In summary: In air, the long-wavelength light is scattered more then the short-wavelength light. This is because the refractive index of air is much higher than water.
vishnumanu
Hi, I am currently doing a project in underwater image enhancement. Just now i got this little question that came to my head. I know it sounds silly.
You could notice the red color of sun at sunset, this is due to light scattering and red is least scattered as compared to blue.
On the other hand, in water red scatters first whereas blue scatters the least. Why?
Whats the difference between air and water for this complete change of nature of scattering...?:uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
hi folks, i think this is connected with something about refractive index about air and water. But i still don't get any correct answer for this.. Please do reply rather than viewing this.:smile:

Are you referring to the blue color of thick sheets of water? It is due to red being preferentially absorbed, not to scattering.

DrDu said:
Are you referring to the blue color of thick sheets of water? It is due to red being preferentially absorbed, not to scattering.
Is it something related to energy difference between different color spectrum? like the blue light has lesser energy than the red one...

1. Why does red light attenuate the most in water?

Red light has the longest wavelength among all visible light, which makes it more susceptible to scattering and absorption by water molecules. This results in a decrease in the intensity of red light as it travels through water, causing it to attenuate the most.

2. How does the attenuation of red light in water affect underwater visibility?

The attenuation of red light in water causes objects to appear less red and more blue or green. This leads to a decrease in color contrast and makes objects harder to see in water, especially at deeper depths.

3. Why does red light attenuate the least in air?

In comparison to water, air has a much lower density and a smaller number of molecules per unit volume. This means that there are fewer opportunities for red light to interact with molecules and be scattered or absorbed, resulting in the least attenuation in air.

4. How does the attenuation of red light in air affect visibility?

The attenuation of red light in air has minimal impact on visibility as it only decreases slightly with distance. This is why we can still see objects clearly at far distances on a sunny day, even though red light is being attenuated by the air.

5. Can other factors affect the attenuation of red light in water and air?

Yes, other factors such as the presence of particles, pollutants, or temperature can also contribute to the attenuation of red light in water and air. For example, an increase in particles or pollutants can cause more scattering and absorption, leading to a higher attenuation of red light.