Fruits Like Bananas: Softness Qualities

• Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
In summary: I'll bear that in mind.In summary, bananas are generally soft and have a mellow flavor. They can be fried or baked, and are usually used as a dessert.
tgt
What are some fruits like bananas? Especially its softness qualities.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bananas, for one.

OAQfirst said:

I bought a plantain once, out of curiosity. I found a recipe (you have to cook them). I'm not a picky eater but I found it close to terrible. Probably, if I had one prepared by someone who knew what they were doing, it wouldn't be so bad.

How about a very ripe mango? They're pretty soft. Or a ripe pear.

They're all really juicy, though, even when soft (probably even juicier when softer).

tgt said:
Just softness?? Pears, apricots, peaches, plums, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries...

Does anyone try inserting a banana into strawberry syrup mixed with milk and then inserting it again into chocolate ?
So yummy! :-D,
I have never eaten banana like that before.

I used to cook (in fact fry) plantains that I cut in a few parts. This is the way an African woman taught me to do them. I find them excellent. (Once I've tried to do the same with common bananas and the result was a disaster).

fluidistic said:
I used to cook (in fact fry) plantains that I cut in a few parts. This is the way an African woman taught me to do them. I find them excellent. (Once I've tried to do the same with common bananas and the result was a disaster).

Yes, that was how I did it - cut it into sections, fry in butter, and then sprinkle a bit of brown sugar on them.

But the fruit was a strange mealy texture, and the taste was...chalky is the best way to describe it. I probably chose a bad plantain, since I don't know what the criteria are for them.

lisab said:
Yes, that was how I did it - cut it into sections, fry in butter, and then sprinkle a bit of brown sugar on them.

But the fruit was a strange mealy texture, and the taste was...chalky is the best way to describe it. I probably chose a bad plantain, since I don't know what the criteria are for them.

Plantain recipes:
http://www.gicco.com/recipes/plantains.htm

The amarillos (yellow) ones - ripe - you would make for dessert. Pretty much how you would do bananas for Foster but they are firmer. I bought a yellow by mistake once. I didn't like it as much as banana.

Never thought to do the green ones with garlic however. I think I will pass on that.

I'm getting really hungry now. I've had fried plantains with black beans at the local Cuban restaurant. They serve a really good http://www.versaillescuban.com/menu_b.html" there.

I think I would like to try this recipe:
http://www.chow.com/recipes/10376"

Last edited by a moderator:
tgt said:

you can cigar roll some mashed potatoes --soft and off white like bananas

lisab said:

Most plantains sold in the supermarket are green. If you want to make a dessert out of them, you have to let them ripen. They will turn yellow just like a regular banana, but for ideal ripeness, you want to let them start to turn black. Usually you have to wait about a week or so (sometimes two!).

Ripe plantains taste delicious...they have a unique, mellow, sweet flavor. Fry them in butter and get them to caramelize a bit. No brown sugar needed.

Unripe plantains are typically used like potatoes: you can bake them in the peel, or you can cut them thin and fry them to make chips. Add salt, butter, garlic, whatever.

Ben Niehoff said:
Most plantains sold in the supermarket are green. If you want to make a dessert out of them, you have to let them ripen. They will turn yellow just like a regular banana, but for ideal ripeness, you want to let them start to turn black. Usually you have to wait about a week or so (sometimes two!).

Ripe plantains taste delicious...they have a unique, mellow, sweet flavor. Fry them in butter and get them to caramelize a bit. No brown sugar needed.

Unripe plantains are typically used like potatoes: you can bake them in the peel, or you can cut them thin and fry them to make chips. Add salt, butter, garlic, whatever.

OK then...even though it was a long time ago, I think it was green with yellow and black spots. Must have not been ripe yet.

Thanks Ben!

Evo said:
Just softness?? Pears, apricots, peaches, plums, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries...

softness was important because I plan to put it on toast.

lisab said:

They don't taste like bananas, they are more like potato. Tostones are delicious...eat them like french fries as a side dish or snack. :biggrin:

To make them, you first have to boil the plaintain pieces in salted water to make them soft, then smoosh them to make rounds, then deep fry them. A little salt and YUMMMMMMY! You can also press them into a little bowl shape and stuff with your favorite filling...i.e., seafood salad (my favorite filling).

Exactly! I forgot to say it, but even if it is yellow, it is not as tasty, as sweet as when it is almost all black. There is a big difference, and that may be why inexperienced people don't like plantains.

I grew up on plantains, so I recommend you only cook "ripe" plantains! Now, a personal favorite is "green bananas", yes green (not ripe) bananas -- not plantains. Prepare as if you were cooking mash potatoes. I think I am going on a trip this August!

Moonbear said:
They don't taste like bananas, they are more like potato. Tostones are delicious...eat them like french fries as a side dish or snack. :biggrin:

So if you're making tostones, and you think they're done but you're not sure...so you try one to see how it is, is that the test tostone :tongue2: ?

tgt said:
softness was important because I plan to put it on toast.

eggs

1. What makes bananas soft?

Bananas become soft as they ripen due to the breakdown of starch into simple sugars, making them sweeter and softer.

2. Why do some bananas have a softer texture than others?

The softness of bananas can vary depending on the ripeness and type of banana. For example, yellow bananas are typically firmer than brown-spotted bananas, which are softer and sweeter.

3. Is softness an indicator of ripeness in bananas?

Yes, the softness of a banana can be a good indicator of its ripeness. The softer the banana, the riper it is and the sweeter it will taste.

4. How can I make my bananas softer or firmer?

To ripen a banana faster, you can place it in a paper bag with an apple or tomato. To slow down the ripening process, store bananas in the refrigerator. To make a banana firmer, you can also place it in the fridge.

5. Are there any benefits to eating soft bananas?

Yes, soft bananas are easier to digest and contain more antioxidants than unripe bananas. They also have a higher glycemic index, making them a quick source of energy.