Quantum Harmonic oscillator problem

The probability amplitude is given by the inner product of the state \chi_0(x) and the state \psi(x). This is the integral of the product of the two wave functions over all space:\int \chi_0^*(x)\psi(x)\,dxSo, in summary, the system is in the ground state before changing k. After the change, the wave function remains the same, but the ground state of the system changes. To find the probability of the particle remaining in the new ground state, you need to calculate the inner product of the old ground state wave function and the new ground state wave function. This can be done by taking the integral of the product of the two wave functions over all space.
humanist rho

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is placed in the ground state of a one-dimensional harmonic
oscillator potential of the form

V(x)=1/2 kx2

where the stiffness constant k can be varied externally. The ground state wavefunction
has the form ψ(x)[itex]\propto[/itex] exp(−ax2[itex]\sqrt{k}[/itex]) where a is a constant. If, suddenly, the parameter k is changed to 4k, the probability that the particle will remain in the ground state of the new potential is;

(a) 0.47 (b) 0.06 (c) 0.53 (d) 0.67 (e) 0.33 (f) 0.94

2. The attempt at a solution

The system is in the ground state before changing k

ie, [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\Psi[/itex]*[itex]\Psi[/itex]dx = ([itex]\pi/2a\sqrt{k}[/itex])1/2 =1
When the parameter is changed;let the wave function be [itex]\Psi'[/itex]
the probability to be in ground state is;

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\Psi'*[/itex][itex]\Psi'[/itex]dx = ([itex]\pi/4a\sqrt{k}[/itex])1/2 = [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex][itex]\times[/itex]([itex]\pi/2a\sqrt{k}[/itex])1/2 =[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex][itex]\times[/itex]1=0.707

But this is not there in the option.
Could anybody pls check the steps and tell me where's the mistake or correct it?

Physics news on Phys.org
The wave function must evolve continuously, so the state of the system right after the change is the state of the system right before the change.

Also, your expression for the probability of finding the system in the new ground state is incorrect. The integral you have, which is the integral of the modulus squared of a wave function, should equal 1. You need to come up with the correct integral.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

If I take [itex]\Psi(x)[/itex]=[itex]\Psi'(x)[/itex] at some x=x0 just after the change;

Exp(-ax02[itex]\sqrt{k}[/itex])=Exp(-2ax02[itex]\sqrt{k}[/itex])

ie, -ax02[itex]\sqrt{k}[/itex]=0 or x0 = 0

What do this mean?
And how do this help me in solving the problem?
Is that mean that I should integrate the second integral from 0 to infinity ?

I have no clue what you are doing.

:(

I'll try to explain what i have done.

In the question, the wavefunction is given as ;

[itex]\Psi(x)[/itex] [itex]\propto[/itex] Exp (-ax2[itex]\sqrt{k}[/itex])

On normalizing it I get ;

A2[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\Psi[/itex]*[itex]\Psi[/itex]dx = 1

A2[itex]\int[/itex] Exp (-2ax2[itex]\sqrt{k}[/itex])dx = 1

A2 ([itex]\pi/2a\sqrt{k}[/itex])1/2 = 1

A = (2a[itex]\sqrt{k}[/itex]/[itex]\pi[/itex])1/4

ie , the harmonic oscillator wavefunction before changing the value of k is ;

[itex]\Psi(x)[/itex] = (2a[itex]\sqrt{k}[/itex]/[itex]\pi[/itex])1/4 Exp (-ax2[itex]\sqrt{k}[/itex])

Now the parameter k is changed to 4k ;

Then the new wavefunction be [itex]\Psi'(x)[/itex].

I think,[itex]\Psi'(x)[/itex] can be obtained by replacing k by 4k in [itex]\Psi(x)[/itex] .

If so;

[itex]\Psi'(x)[/itex] = (4a[itex]\sqrt{k}[/itex]/[itex]\pi[/itex])1/4 Exp (-2ax2[itex]\sqrt{k}[/itex])

As you said wavefunction should be continuous. ie,[itex]\Psi'(x)[/itex] should be same as [itex]\Psi(x)[/itex] just after the change.

Then can i take [itex]\Psi(x)[/itex] = [itex]\Psi'(x)[/itex] ?

On taking so, i get x = 0 .

I just donno what this mean?
I have to find the probability of the system to be in the new ground state. How can i obtain this?What is the problem with my procedure? Isn't it the correct method?

Last edited:
If the state doesn't change, the wave function doesn't change.

vela said:
If the state doesn't change, the wave function doesn't change.

Could you please clarify?
Is that mean that the state of the system and probability remain same even after changing the parameters like k ?

Last edited:
Remember the wave function contains all the information about the state of the particle. If the wave function changes, that implies the state changed, and vice versa. Immediately after the potential changes, the wave function of the particle is still[tex]\psi(x) = \left( \frac{2a\sqrt{k}}{\pi}\right)^{1/4} e^{-ax^2\sqrt{k}}[/tex]What has changed, however, is the ground state of the system.

In other words, with the original potential, the particle was in a state that was also the ground state of the system. With the new potential, the particle is still in what was the ground state of the system, but the ground state of the new system is different.

Then how to find new ground state?

I didn't get the answer yet.Please help.

At t=0-, you have
[tex]\hat H_- = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d}{dx} + \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex]which has eigenstates [itex]\phi_0(x)[/itex], [itex]\phi_1(x)[/itex], ... where
[tex]\phi_0(x) = \left( \frac{2a\sqrt{k}}{\pi}\right)^{1/4} e^{-ax^2\sqrt{k}}[/tex]is the ground state. Note that we haven't said anything about the state of the system. We're just talking about the eigenstates of the system.

At t=0+, the potential changes so that
[tex]\hat H_+ = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d}{dx} + \frac{1}{2}(4k)x^2[/tex]which has eigenstates [itex]\chi_0(x)[/itex], [itex]\chi_1(x)[/itex], ... You should be able to tell us what the ground state [itex]\chi_0(x)[/itex] is. Again, note that we have said absolutely nothing about what the actual state of the system is.

You're told that prior to the change, the system is in the ground state. That means [itex]\psi(x) = \phi_0(x)[/itex] at t=0-. At t=0+, you must also have [itex]\psi(x) = \phi_0(x)[/itex] because the wave function evolves continuously.

Now what expression gives the probability amplitude of finding the system in the state [itex]\chi_0(x)[/itex] when it's in the state [itex]\psi(x)[/itex]?

1. What is the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator problem?

The Quantum Harmonic Oscillator problem is a physical concept in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of a quantum particle in a harmonic potential. It is a fundamental problem in quantum mechanics and has applications in various fields such as quantum optics, condensed matter physics, and chemistry.

2. How is the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator problem solved?

The Quantum Harmonic Oscillator problem is solved using mathematical techniques such as the Schrödinger equation and the ladder operator method. These methods allow us to calculate the energy levels and wavefunctions of the quantum harmonic oscillator.

3. What are the properties of the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator?

The Quantum Harmonic Oscillator has several important properties, including quantized energy levels, a ground state energy of 0, and evenly spaced energy levels. It also exhibits properties of both a particle and a wave, known as wave-particle duality.

4. What are the applications of the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator problem?

The Quantum Harmonic Oscillator problem has many applications, including in the study of molecular vibrations, electronic states in atoms, and the behavior of particles in a crystal lattice. It is also used in the development of quantum computing and technologies such as lasers and sensors.

5. What is the significance of the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator problem?

The Quantum Harmonic Oscillator problem is significant because it provides a simple yet powerful model for understanding the behavior of quantum systems. It also helps to bridge the gap between classical and quantum mechanics, and has led to important discoveries and advancements in various fields of science and technology.