Partial Fraction Decomp with a constant

In summary, the conversation is about a complex equation and its decomposition. The person is struggling to decompose it and is seeking help. They eventually figure out the correct second term for the equation.
jinksys
This is throwing me through so many loops.

I have the equation 1/(x^3 + xa^2).

I can not for the life of me decompose this equation.

I use 1(x^3 + xa^2) = A/x + (Bx + C)/(v^2+a^2)

I can get A=1/a^2, but from there progress stops.

All examples on the internet and books only have one variable.

What do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I figured it out.

My second term needs to be (Bx+Cy)/(x^2 + a^2)

Last edited:
jinksys said:
Nevermind, I figured it out.

My second term needs to be Bx+Ca/(x^2 + a^2)

You have some extra stuff in there that you don't need, and you are missing some parentheses. The second term should be
[tex]\frac{Bx + C}{x^2 + a^2}[/tex]

If you write this without using LaTeX, it should be
(Bx + C)/(x2 + a2)

1. What is partial fraction decomposition with a constant?

Partial fraction decomposition with a constant is a method used to simplify a rational expression by breaking it down into smaller fractions. The constant in this case refers to a number that is added or subtracted from the rational expression.

2. When is partial fraction decomposition with a constant used?

This method is typically used when integrating rational functions or solving systems of linear equations. It can also be used to find the inverse Laplace transform of a rational function.

3. How is partial fraction decomposition with a constant performed?

To perform partial fraction decomposition with a constant, the rational expression is first factored into its irreducible factors. Then, each factor is written as a separate fraction with a common denominator. The constants in the numerator are then determined using a system of equations and the original expression is simplified by combining like terms.

4. What are the benefits of using partial fraction decomposition with a constant?

Partial fraction decomposition with a constant allows for the manipulation and simplification of complex rational expressions, making them easier to integrate or solve. It also allows for the determination of the coefficients of the fractions involved.

5. Are there any limitations to partial fraction decomposition with a constant?

Partial fraction decomposition with a constant can only be used for rational expressions with distinct linear factors. It cannot be used for expressions with repeated factors or irreducible quadratic factors.