Register to reply

Chemical vs. Materials Engineering

Share this thread:
MrGeneric
Mar28-12, 06:02 PM
P: 2
I've been doing some research on majors and have narrowed my interests down to something involving a mixture of chemistry and math, possibly physics as well. From what I have found Chemical Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering seem to be closest to my ideal mix, though the descriptions of applications to the job market have been rather vague, and Chemical Engineering seems a bit too industrial for my tastes. Can anyone give me an accurate impression of what I could do with different degrees in these fields? Also, are there any other areas that are similar?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Apple to unveil 'iWatch' on September 9
NASA deep-space rocket, SLS, to launch in 2018
Study examines 13,000-year-old nanodiamonds from multiple locations across three continents
streeters
Mar29-12, 02:58 PM
P: 221
I'm finishing my degree in Materials Science and have just been accepted into a doctoral scheme, so I've spent the last 6 months working out my options.

I applied/got offers for:
* Jag Land Rover - making hybrid engines and developing aluminium alloys for chassis
* Composite helicoper blades
* Nuclear power plant maintenance
* Steel forgings for oil platforms

I opted for a corrosion PhD because I hate money and love long hours and the pain of constant self-doubt.

A big theme in Materials research is energy, renewable and otherwise. If this is a field that interests you, materials science might suit you.

Also, every single person in my class already has a job/study lined up for when they graduate. There is a big shortage of metallurgists/materials scientists (in the UK at least).
MrGeneric
Mar29-12, 06:03 PM
P: 2
Thank you, that's very helpful.

Register to reply