Does graphene actually remain strong for macroworld engineering?

In summary, I heard that people envision strong structural materials made out of graphene, but I heard it may weaken when being stack in layers. Is graphene viable for macroworld structural engineering or is it only suitable for electronics and similar applications?
cdux
I heard that people envision strong structural materials made out of graphene, but I heard it may weaken when being stack in layers. Is graphene viable for macroworld structural engineering or is it only suitable for electronics and similar applications?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know CNTs have excellent material strength when they are bunched together. I don't know what will happen for graphene. Will it not be just graphite, if bunched together?

Kholdstare said:
I know CNTs have excellent material strength when they are bunched together. I don't know what will happen for graphene. Will it not be just graphite, if bunched together?
I have found some papers talking of very controlled, low cost and efficient stacking of graphene on wafers of SiC (Silicon Carbide) but I'm not sure I'm proficient in that discipline to understand if that means they keep their properties or not.

I heard that it loses physical properties when stacked though I don't know if it's confirmed.

I doubt it's exactly like graphite though since that's basically a collection of debris of graphene and not perfect monolayers stack on top of each other. But who knows, it may in principle work similarly in macro sizes.

I seriously doubt you could build a macroscopic stucture out of graphene. However, graphene has a extremely high Young's modulus meaning it is potentially a good material for e.g. MEMS/NEMS resonators; and other microscopic applications.

The graphite is not very strong because the bounds between the graphene sheets on top of each other are very weak. If you are able to make just a single graphene sheet with macroscopic size it would still be strong.You could stack many graphene layers together and they would break apart very easily but the individual graphene sheets would still be strong.
I am not sure about that.

Sayajin said:
The graphite is not very strong because the bounds between the graphene sheets on top of each other are very weak. If you are able to make just a single graphene sheet with macroscopic size it would still be strong.You could stack many graphene layers together and they would break apart very easily but the individual graphene sheets would still be strong.
I am not sure about that.
Yes, but would they remain high in tensile strength (even if perhaps fragile in compression or with axial forces), or is it an inherent property of the multilayer form of the material that it becomes weaker? i.e. is it mechanically problematic, or do the fundamental physics of it at the atomic level weaken it?

1. What is graphene and why is it considered a strong material for macroworld engineering?

Graphene is a single layer of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice. It is considered a strong material for macroworld engineering because it has a high strength-to-weight ratio, high electrical and thermal conductivity, and excellent mechanical properties such as stiffness and flexibility.

2. Is graphene really strong enough for macroworld engineering applications?

Yes, graphene has been shown to have exceptional strength and mechanical properties. It has been tested in various applications such as aerospace, automotive, and construction and has shown promising results.

3. Can graphene be used in large-scale engineering projects?

Yes, graphene has the potential to be used in large-scale engineering projects. Despite being only one atom thick, it is incredibly strong and has been shown to maintain its properties even at larger scales.

4. Are there any limitations or challenges in using graphene for macroworld engineering?

While graphene has many desirable properties, there are still challenges in its large-scale production and integration into existing engineering processes. Additionally, its high cost and potential environmental impacts need to be considered.

5. What are some current and potential future applications of graphene in macroworld engineering?

Some current applications of graphene in macroworld engineering include strengthening and lightweighting of materials, improving battery and fuel cell technology, and enhancing solar panels. Potential future applications include water filtration, sound and light sensors, and biomedical devices.