Question about fiding speed and distance

• Thread starter sofiasherwood
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the question given in the test is confusing and does not have a clear solution. It is unclear whether the acceleration is constant or not, and the given values for speed and position do not seem to be correct. The given constant power of 12.0 watts also does not make sense in relation to the problem. Further clarification is needed to accurately solve this question.
sofiasherwood
I had a test earlier today and one question was,

A 20kg object initially at rest is accelerated at constant power of 12.0w. After 9.0s it has moved 56.0m. Find its speed at t=6.0s and its position at that instant.

I got v=6 and distance=36m are these values correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
sofiasherwood said:
I had a test earlier today and one question was,

A 20kg object initially at rest is accelerated at constant power of 12.0w. After 9.0s it has moved 56.0m. Find its speed at t=6.0s and its position at that instant.
I started to say that this makes no sense. An object accelerates at a constant acceleration measured in [itex]m/s^2[/itex]. That acceleration may be caused by a constant force, measured in Newtons, but not a constant power measured in watts.

But the "12.0 w" really has nothing to do with the problem and can be ignored. If an object accelerates from rest at constant acceleration, a [itex]m/s^2[/itex], then after time, t, it will have speed [itex]at[/itex] m/s and will have moved distance [itex](1/)at^2[/itex] m.

I got v=6 and distance=36m are these values correct?
They do not look at all right to me. How did you get them?

P*t=W
12*9=108
therefore W=108joules
W=F*displacement
F=108/56
F=1.93N

F=ma
a=1.93/20
a=0.1

so at t=6
Pt=W
12*6=72joules
W=72joules

W=F*displacement
displacement=72/(20*0.1)
displacement=36m

P=Fv
v=12/(20*0.1)
v=6

Halls, it doesn't say constant acceleration. Constant power is what you might get from a car with a continuously variable transmission.

I am assuming the acceleration is constant. Is that right?

Have I gone wrong somewhere?

Enigman said:
Me thinks...
Either the question, me or wolframalpha is incorrect...

This is the question given in the test word for word. The question confused me for ages, in the end I just assumed acceleration was constant. I don't know how you could work it out any other way.

Try not to round of numbers.Use fractions.

sofiasherwood said:
I am assuming the acceleration is constant. Is that right?

Acceleration can not be constant...
P=dW/dt
P=d(∫F.dx)/dt
P=F.dx/dt
P=Fv
If a is const.
P=ma*(at)
P=ma2t
Then Power is not constant as given in the question...

I saw this question when it was in the other section, it looked fishy to me then and I just had a go at it. Unless I am missing something it does not have a solution.
The way the question is formulated you will -as Enigman pointed out- end up with a 2nd order ODE for the position; but then the constants are over-determined.

I wonder if this is a case of the teacher trying to add a red herring (constant power) without realizing that this implies that the accelaration can not be constant.

1. What is the formula for calculating speed?

The formula for calculating speed is speed = distance / time, where speed is measured in units such as meters per second (m/s) or miles per hour (mph).

2. How do I find the distance traveled given the speed and time?

To find the distance traveled, you can use the formula distance = speed x time. Make sure to use the same units for both speed and time, such as meters per second and seconds.

3. Can speed and distance be calculated without knowing the time?

No, in order to calculate speed or distance, you need to know the other two variables. If you are missing one variable, you can rearrange the formula to solve for it. For example, if you know the speed and distance, you can solve for time by rearranging the formula to time = distance / speed.

4. How do I convert units of speed and distance?

To convert units of speed and distance, you can use conversion factors. For example, to convert from miles per hour to kilometers per hour, you can multiply the speed in mph by 1.609 to get the equivalent speed in km/h.

5. What is the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed?

Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. It gives a measure of the overall speed during the entire journey. Instantaneous speed, on the other hand, refers to the speed at a specific moment in time. It can be calculated by measuring the distance traveled during a small time interval and dividing it by that time interval.