Register to reply

Name of a geometrical shape

by xaratustra
Tags: geometrical, shape
Share this thread:
Nov26-13, 04:59 AM
P: 29
What is the geometrical shape called, when combining 3 ellipses together, such that each two share one focal point and together form a kind of 60 degree triangular shape?

It will look similar to Reuleaux triangle, but it is not formed out of a triangle, but 3 ellipses, as if you are gluing one ellipse to each side of a triangle.

Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
Nov26-13, 05:44 AM
P: 29
I think it is called a superellipse. I found a formula and an octave program on Wikipedia. The one I was looking for is the one with parameters "3 6 6 6", the table on the right side. The plot in octave also works by using the following command:
sf2d([3 6 6 6],[1 1])
anyway, thanks.

Register to reply

Related Discussions
Assuming Complex Shape a Simple Shape. What is this called? Differential Geometry 2
Conversion from 'Shape*' to non-scalar type 'Shape' requested Programming & Computer Science 10
Representing a point in an n-dimensional space in a 2D geometrical shape Differential Geometry 0
What's differance between J-shape cure & S-shape curve Biology, Chemistry & Other Homework 1
Shape Shape-shifting strings... solids, liquids, and gasses Beyond the Standard Model 2