What is the name of the shape formed by combining 3 ellipses together?

In summary, the geometrical shape formed by combining 3 ellipses together, with each two sharing one focal point, and resembling a 60 degree triangular shape, is known as a superellipse. This can be found using a formula and an octave program on Wikipedia, with the specific parameters of "3 6 6 6". Thank you for the information.
xaratustra
What is the geometrical shape called, when combining 3 ellipses together, such that each two share one focal point and together form a kind of 60 degree triangular shape?

It will look similar to Reuleaux triangle, but it is not formed out of a triangle, but 3 ellipses, as if you are gluing one ellipse to each side of a triangle.

thanks
:approve:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Found it!

I think it is called a superellipse. I found a formula and an octave program on Wikipedia. The one I was looking for is the one with parameters "3 6 6 6", the table on the right side. The plot in octave also works by using the following command:
Code:
sf2d([3 6 6 6],[1 1])

anyway, thanks.

What is a circle?

A circle is a two-dimensional shape that is perfectly round. It is defined as the set of all points in a plane that are equidistant from a given point, called the center.

What is the formula for finding the area of a square?

The formula for finding the area of a square is side x side, or s x s, where s represents the length of one of the sides of the square.

How many sides does a pentagon have?

A pentagon has 5 sides.

What is the difference between a triangle and a rectangle?

A triangle is a three-sided polygon, while a rectangle is a four-sided polygon with two pairs of parallel sides. Additionally, all angles in a triangle must add up to 180 degrees, whereas in a rectangle, all angles are 90 degrees.

What is the name of a 6-sided shape?

A 6-sided shape is called a hexagon.