Getting Started with OpenCV: A Guide for Windows Users

• Thread starter solarblast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sort
In summary: Executing, sort of, OpenCVFor those who are not aware of OpenCV, "Computer vision (CV) is a rapidly growing field, partly as a result of both cheaper and more capable cameras, partly because of affordable processing power..."I'm trying to figure out OpenCV myself, and while doing so I noticed that MabLab CV programs exist. I figured then that maybe someone in this NG knows about it. From what I know, OCV is really not executable. Instead it is a library that one uses with C++ and in someway for C in Linux. I'm a Windows user and have downloaded the OCV, and unzipped it. So what's next
solarblast
"Executing", sort of, OpenCV

For those who are not aware of OpenCV, "Computer vision (CV) is a rapidly growing field, partly as a result of both cheaper and more capable cameras, partly because of affordable processing power..."

I'm trying to figure out OpenCV myself, and while doing so I noticed that MabLab CV programs exist. I figured then that maybe someone in this NG knows about it.

From what I know, OCV is really not executable. Instead it is a library that one uses with C++ and in someway for C in Linux. I'm a Windows user and have downloaded the OCV, and unzipped it. So what's next? Well, I think I need to install the OCV library, with some several thousand functions. Apparently, one uses functions and so on from the library to incorporate into a C++ or C program. I have not yet figured out how to unravel the library. Presumably I don't need all the functions. Anyway, can someone give me a clue to how to proceed.

Technology news on Phys.org
solarblast said:
From what I know, OCV is really not executable.
It's executable, but it's not an application.
solarblast said:
Instead it is a library that one uses with C++ and in someway for C in Linux. I'm a Windows user and have downloaded the OCV, and unzipped it. So what's next?
As you note, it's a library with lots of functions. To use these functions you need to write in application in C, C++, Java, or whatever, that calls these functions. Necessarily you will need to know enough programming in one of the programming languages that is supported.
solarblast said:
Well, I think I need to install the OCV library, with some several thousand functions. Apparently, one uses functions and so on from the library to incorporate into a C++ or C program. I have not yet figured out how to unravel the library. Presumably I don't need all the functions. Anyway, can someone give me a clue to how to proceed.
DavidSnider's advice of looking at the tutorial on their website is a good first step.

I made significant progress yesterday. Yes, OCV is a library functions that is used by C++, Java, C, and other languages. When the OCV install file is downloaded, it builds lib functions. They are called pre-built libraries. One can create libraries of their own. It looks like the last step is "To finalize the installation go to the Set the OpenCV environment variable and add it to the systems path section." There are some sample programs to test with. One seemingly importat one is <http://docs.opencv.org/trunk/doc/tutorials/introduction/windows_visual_studio_Opencv/windows_visual_studio_Opencv.html#windows-visual-studio-how-to>. [Broken] It essentially is divided into two pieces. The second piece is the cpp code. I haven't read the first piece entirely, but it seems to be about setting up the library and software connections. Something to more fully read today.

BTW, I'm using Visual Studio C++ 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is OpenCV?

OpenCV (Open Source Computer Vision) is a popular open-source library used for computer vision and image processing. It provides a wide range of functions and algorithms for tasks such as object detection, facial recognition, and motion tracking.

2. How do I install OpenCV?

The installation process for OpenCV varies depending on your operating system. However, you can follow the official installation guide provided by OpenCV for step-by-step instructions specific to your system.

3. Can OpenCV be used with any programming language?

Yes, OpenCV supports multiple programming languages such as C++, Python, Java, and MATLAB. This allows developers to choose the language they are most comfortable with for their computer vision projects.

4. What are the benefits of using OpenCV?

OpenCV has a large community of developers constantly contributing to its development, making it a reliable and constantly improving library. It also provides a wide range of tools and algorithms for various computer vision tasks, making it a versatile choice for researchers and developers.

5. Is OpenCV difficult to learn?

While OpenCV can be complex, it has a well-documented API and a large community that provides support and resources for beginners. With practice and dedication, anyone can learn and master OpenCV for their computer vision projects.