Understanding the Role of D1, C1, and Lm in a Boost-Flyback Converter

• Thread starter anhnha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Converter
In summary, the Boost-Flyback converter utilizes D1 and C1 to deliver energy stored in the transformer leakage inductance Ld to the output. Lm, the non-ideal leakage inductance of the transformer, also plays a role in storing energy as the field collapses. This energy is captured by D1 and C1 and added to the output, making it a clever design. Ld is a real inductor while Lm is inside the transformer. Further research is recommended for a better understanding of this circuit.
anhnha
I am reading about Boost-Flyback converter and this is a bit confusing.
Could you explain the role of D1 and C1 here?
The lecture says that "D1 and C1deliver to the output the energy stored in the transformer leakage inductance Ld." I can't understand what is meant here.
And could you explain why there is Lm there?

attachment.php?attachmentid=69500&stc=1&d=1399443252.png

Attachments

• Boost-Fyback converter.PNG
    Boost-Fyback converter.PNG
    31.8 KB · Views: 732
Engineering news on Phys.org
Lm is the (non-ideal) leakage inductance of the transformer. You need to understand that first.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leakage_inductance

The leakage inductance stores energy the same as Ld does, and that energy needs to go somewhere as the field collapses. It doesn't go through the transformer because that's what Lm is representing, the inductance of the transformer as seen from the primary.

I don't know your source for that circuit so take this as speculation.

I'd wager leakage inductance includes not only transformer leakage as pointed out by mBGuy, but inductance of the loop (of wires or pc traces) connecting transistor S to the power supply and transformer as well.
That inductance can be quite troublesome if the layout is not very good as in the first switcher i ever built.
That's clever, capturing its stored energy with D1-C1 and adding it to output. The dissipative snubbers in my amateur project got quite hot.

this isn't my field of expertise
so just wanting to learn...

mebigguy ... You are saying that Ld and Lm are not physical inductors but are the "product" of the primary of the 1:n transformer ?
At least I think that's what you are saying ?

Dave

I am saying Lm is inside the transformer. I think Ld is a real inductor.
http://www.ijrte.org/attachments/File/v2i6/F0948012614.pdf uses a series inductor for boost.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Boost-Flyback converter?

A Boost-Flyback converter is a type of power supply circuit that combines elements from both the boost and flyback converters. It is used to step up the input voltage to a higher output voltage, making it useful for applications such as battery charging and LED lighting.

2. How does a Boost-Flyback converter work?

The input voltage is first boosted using a boost converter, and then the resulting high voltage is fed into a flyback converter. The flyback converter then isolates and regulates the output voltage, which can be higher than the input voltage.

3. What are the advantages of using a Boost-Flyback converter?

One major advantage is its ability to step up the input voltage to a higher output voltage. It also provides isolation between the input and output, making it safer to use. Additionally, the combination of the boost and flyback converters allows for high efficiency and smaller size compared to using each converter separately.

4. What are the typical applications of a Boost-Flyback converter?

Boost-Flyback converters are commonly used in battery charging circuits, LED lighting, and power supplies for small electronic devices. They are also used in automotive electronics and renewable energy systems.

5. What are some considerations when designing a Boost-Flyback converter?

Some important factors to consider include the input and output voltage requirements, power rating, efficiency, and switching frequency. The choice of components, such as inductors and capacitors, also plays a crucial role in the performance of the converter. Additionally, proper design techniques must be followed to ensure reliable and safe operation of the converter.