Wind-Induced Pressure and Window Safety in Skyscrapers: A Scientific Analysis

In summary, the glass-walled skyscraper known as the John Hancock tower faced a safety hazard after its windows kept falling out on windy days. The pressure difference between the inside and outside of the building caused a net outward force on each window, which was calculated using Bernoulli's equation. The size of the window played a role in determining the force, with a larger area resulting in a larger force. The magnitude of this force was compared to the weight of an average person, giving an idea of the force pushing outward on the window. The second part of the question asks to compare this force to the weight of a specific individual, but the meaning of "times weight of the salesman" is unclear.
kellyneedshelp
Any ideas how to start this problem (formulas or anything)?

Just after its completion, the glass-walled skyscraper known as the John Hancock tower in Boston (see Figure P.64) was faced with an embarrassing problem: its windows kept falling out on windy days! The building soon became known as the "plywood palace," since at one point plywood covered a significant percentage of the exterior of the building as a temporary replacement for the lost windows. Needless to say, the 1.89 m x 2.86 m glass panes were quite a safety hazard as they cascaded to the pavement below. Fortunately, no casualties resulted from the flying panes. If a wind with a speed of 59.0 km/h is blowing parallel to the face of one of the windows, what is the magnitude of the net outward force on each window caused by the pressure difference between the inside and outside of the building?

I have no clue how to calculate the pressure differences or the force that would be needed to knock the windows out.

Physics news on Phys.org
kellyneedshelp said:
Any ideas how to start this problem (formulas or anything)?

Just after its completion, the glass-walled skyscraper known as the John Hancock tower in Boston (see Figure P.64) was faced with an embarrassing problem: its windows kept falling out on windy days! The building soon became known as the "plywood palace," since at one point plywood covered a significant percentage of the exterior of the building as a temporary replacement for the lost windows. Needless to say, the 1.89 m x 2.86 m glass panes were quite a safety hazard as they cascaded to the pavement below. Fortunately, no casualties resulted from the flying panes. If a wind with a speed of 59.0 km/h is blowing parallel to the face of one of the windows, what is the magnitude of the net outward force on each window caused by the pressure difference between the inside and outside of the building?

I have no clue how to calculate the pressure differences or the force that would be needed to knock the windows out.
Assume the air pressure inside is the same as the air pressure outside with stationary air. Use Bernouilli's equation to determine the pressure drop caused by moving air:

[tex]P + \frac{1}{2}\rho v^2 = P_{atm}[/tex]

AM

so P = 1.01E5 Pa + (1/2)*(1.168)*16.389 m/s ?
how would the size of the window play into the problem then?

thanks!

actually, i meant:
P = 1.01E5 Pa - (1/2)*(1.168)*16.389 m/s
NOT
P = 1.01E5 Pa + (1/2)*(1.168)*16.389 m/s

but I'm still unsure as to how to factor in the size of the window...

How does one define pressure?

-Hoot:smile:

P=F/A so F=P*A

but i tried this using the P = 1.01E5 Pa - (1/2)*(1.168)*16.389 m/s = 100990.4288 Pa
and A = 1.89 m x 2.86 m = 5.4054 m^2
so F = 545893 N, but this wrong

am i still setting it up wrong, or do my numbers look wrong (is that not the value for air density i should use, etc?)

(1) You forgot to square the velocity.

(2) The density of dry air at sea level is about 1.25 kg / m^3

Number (2) shouldn't matter that much, but (1) will put you way off.

-Hoot:smile:

oh shoot, you're right, i did, thanks!

so does this look right:
P = 1.01E5 Pa - (1/2)*(1.25)*(16.389)^2 m/s = 100832 Pa
and A = 1.89 m x 2.86 m = 5.4054 m^2
so F = 545038 N ?

it doesn't seem that off from the 545893 N i got before (within 1% of each other), so i am still unsure if I'm doing it right...

Your final calc looks correct to me.

kellyneedshelp said:
how would the size of the window play into the problem then?
The larger the area, the larger the net force: [itex]F = (P_{in} - P_{out})A[/itex]

Also, the density of air is 1.29 kg/m^3 at standard temperature and pressure.

The net force is due to this pressure difference. So the net outward force on the window is:

[tex]\Delta P A = 173 N/m^2 \times 5.15 m^2 = 890 N[/tex]

This is the equivalent of the weight of a man pulling outward on each window.

AM

Last edited:
is P(in)=1atm=1.01E5 Pa?
and is P(out)=1.00826E5 Pa ?

if so then would the solution be:
(1.01E5 - 1.00826E5)*(5.4054)=936.454 N
?

Andrew Mason said:
[tex]\Delta P A = 173 N/m^2 \times 5.15 m^2 = 890 N[/tex]

I see where you got 173 N/m^2, but shouldn't Area=1.89m*2.86m=5.4054m^2 (not 5.15) or is this a dif number? If this is a mistake, then the answer should be about 936N, right?

Andrew Mason said:
This is the equivalent of the weight of a man pulling outward on each window.

AM

What do you mean by this? How much does an average man weigh, or how do you know what force he could pull out with? I am just curious about this part.

Thanks!

Sorry, for misleading you kelly. I missed the difference in pressure.

kellyneedshelp said:
I see where you got 173 N/m^2, but shouldn't Area=1.89m*2.86m=5.4054m^2 (not 5.15) or is this a dif number? If this is a mistake, then the answer should be about 936N, right?
Right.
What do you mean by this? How much does an average man weigh, or how do you know what force he could pull out with? I am just curious about this part.
A 95.5 kg. person weights 936 N. So that gives you some idea of the force pushing outward on the window.

AM

I'm doing the same question, the second part asks
"Compare the magnitude of this force to the magnitude of the weight of a 72.2 kg insurance salesperson."

the force in my case (slightly different numbers) was 1012 N. Any help is appreciated. thanks

Compare the magnitude of this force to the magnitude of the weight of a 72.2 kg insurance salesperson. And it says (times weight of the salesman) near the answer box...I am unsure what this means. Again my force was 1012 N.
thank you

1. What causes wind to blow?

Wind is caused by the unequal heating of Earth's surface by the sun. This creates differences in air pressure, and the air moves from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure, creating wind.

2. How does air pressure affect the movement of wind?

Air pressure plays a crucial role in the movement of wind. Generally, air moves from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure, creating wind. The greater the difference in pressure, the stronger the wind will be.

3. What tools are used to measure air pressure?

The most common tool used to measure air pressure is a barometer. Other instruments such as anemometers and weather balloons can also measure air pressure.

4. How does wind affect weather patterns?

Wind is a key factor in determining weather patterns. It helps to distribute heat and moisture across the Earth's surface, affecting temperature, precipitation, and other weather conditions. Wind also plays a role in shaping the Earth's climate.

5. Can air pressure be used to predict weather?

Yes, changes in air pressure can be used to predict weather patterns. A rapid drop in air pressure often indicates an approaching storm, while high-pressure systems typically bring clear and calm weather.

Back