Should I get a masters in geology?

In summary, the conversation discussed the potential of pursuing a career in Geology, specifically in Canada. The industry is strong, particularly in Alberta, and offers high salaries, with potential for growth. Having a masters or PhD can lead to higher level positions, but practical experience through summer field studies is important for finding employment.
daewoo
Hello,

I'm currently living in Canada and about to enter University, I'm wondering about if I should consider going into this. I was wondering if someone could give me some help and tell me what the industry is like and if there are future job possiblities. Also wondering how much they usually make with a masters or with a pHD.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a good field, especially if you live somewhere like Alberta. Salary can be fairly high...

I know a guy that got his BSc. in Geology from the University of Alberta, and started at 66k/year, and is up to 85k after 3 years. He's supposed to be up to 100k soon. He's working in the oil business; that's where the money is with Geology.

With MSc or PhD, it really depends. MSc. will likely make a bit more than a BSc., and will get a higher level job, but I'm not positive on a PhD.

It's fairly interesting, but there isn't a lot of math or physics to it. A lot of memorization.

Here:

http://www.alis.gov.ab.ca/occinfo/C...GetHTMLProfile&format=html&OCCPRO_ID=71002510

If you're going into Geology don't neglect your summer field studies. Start early and try to do at least 2 if not 3 before you finish undergrad. You won't find much work without practical experience.

1. Should I get a masters in geology if I already have a bachelor's degree in a different field?

It depends on your career goals and interests. A master's degree in geology can open up opportunities for specialized positions in the field, such as research or teaching. It may also provide a competitive edge in the job market. However, if your bachelor's degree is in a related field and you have relevant experience, a master's degree may not be necessary.

2. Will getting a masters in geology increase my salary?

In general, having a higher level of education can lead to higher salaries. However, the salary increase may also depend on your specific job and industry. Some positions may require a master's degree and offer higher salaries, while others may not have a significant difference in pay between a bachelor's and master's degree.

3. Is it worth the time and financial investment to get a masters in geology?

This ultimately depends on your personal circumstances and goals. Consider the cost of tuition, potential salary increase, and career opportunities in your decision. It may also be beneficial to speak with professionals in the field or current students in a geology master's program to gather more information.

4. What are the job prospects for individuals with a masters in geology?

The job prospects for individuals with a masters in geology are generally positive, as the field is expected to grow in the coming years. Graduates may find employment in industries such as energy, environmental consulting, mining, and academia. However, job availability and competition may vary depending on location and industry.

5. Can I specialize in a specific area of geology with a masters degree?

Yes, a master's degree in geology often allows students to specialize in a specific area of the field, such as environmental geology, hydrogeology, or petroleum geology. This can be beneficial for those interested in pursuing a specific career path within geology.