Can you make your own plastic with household items?

• Thread starter Halzman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plastic
In summary, by adding milk and vinegar to create plastic, you can create a variety of different types of plastic with varying properties.
Halzman
I was doing some research online, about making plastic, and I came across a tutorial explaining how you can use milk and vinegar to make plastic.

I basically want to be able to make sheets or molds of objects.

I don't really know what questions to ask, I don't really have any background in chemistry (except for wayy back in middle school), but I do have a few things I need to keep in mind.

- what can I add to make the plastic stronger? heat resistant? Clear? Colored?

As i said, i don't have a lot of background information, but you can get technical, i just hope not to technical :)

Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hmm, I've always wanted to try this, but have never gotten around to it. The procedure seems incredibly simple, just precipitate out the casein (milk protein) under acidic conditions and let it dry. Vinegar is not necessarily required- any acid shall work. You might want to try different kinds of milk or maybe even cottage cheese. I would think that whole milk for example would produce a harder plastic compared to that of skim milk because of the higher fat content. As far as coloring the plastic, I'm not too sure. I've used pieces of crayons before to color soaps. The non-toxic ones contain primarily stearic acid. Might work, pure speculation, however. There's tons of variables you can try!

According to this site's instructions on how to make plastic out of the casein in milk,
http://nobel.scas.bcit.ca/resource/plastic/plastic.htm
The plastic comes out maleable and dough-like, you can then shape it like you please and let it dry out over night.
Mold the plastic into any shape you wish. If you wish to make a pendant for a necklace, use a nail to poke a hole in the plastic and let it dry overnight. Once it is sufficiently dried, use metallic gel pens to decorate it in your own design.

Another, clasic, plastic making experiment involves using Borax (Sodium Tetraborate) and Elmers glue. This method is often used to make "slime" or "goo" and is very easy to color (food coloring should work).
From personal experience, I know that depending on the any numbers of ways you mix the two components, you can create plasticy blobs of many different consistensies (hard, soft, watery, ...).

1. What materials do I need to make my own plastic?

To make your own plastic, you will need a polymer, a plasticizer, and any desired additives. Common polymers used for homemade plastic include gelatin, starch, and polyvinyl alcohol. Plasticizers, which help make the plastic flexible, can include glycerin, vegetable oil, or even vinegar. Additives like food coloring or glitter can also be added for aesthetic purposes.

2. Is it safe to make my own plastic at home?

As long as safety precautions are taken, making plastic at home can be safe. It is important to use appropriate materials and follow instructions carefully to avoid any potential hazards. It is also recommended to wear gloves and work in a well-ventilated area when handling chemicals.

3. How do I make my own plastic without using harmful chemicals?

There are many recipes and methods for making plastic without using harmful chemicals. Some common alternatives include using natural ingredients such as milk, gelatin, or cornstarch. These materials are biodegradable and non-toxic, making them safer options for homemade plastic.

4. Can I recycle my homemade plastic?

Yes, homemade plastic can be recycled just like traditional plastic. However, it is important to check with your local recycling facilities to ensure they accept homemade plastic. It is also recommended to label your homemade plastic with the type of polymer used for proper recycling.

5. What are some practical uses for homemade plastic?

Homemade plastic can be used for a variety of purposes, such as creating small objects like keychains or jewelry, or for larger projects like creating molds for casting. It can also be used for packaging materials or as a substitute for traditional plastic in arts and crafts projects. The possibilities are endless!