Equations for Arc Plasma near Magnetic Fields

In summary, Alice is conducting a research experiment on the behaviour of plasma around magnetic fields using an arc welding machine and an electromagnet. She needs to calculate the momentum and kinetic energy of the plasma, as well as the heat energy caused when it strikes a surface. She also wants to know if there is a way to predict how much the plasma will bend based on these factors. However, due to the complexity of the experiment and the need for a controlled environment, it may be too difficult for a high school student to conduct. Instead, Alice can focus on deriving theoretical predictions using the Lorentz force law.
Rose Tinted Glasses
Hi, I'm currently doing an research experiment into the behaviour of plasma around magnetic fields. I will be using an arc welding machine for the plasma and an electromagnet. (So I can adjust the field's intensity as an independant variable.) The arc should bend in the presence of a magnetic field, and the how much it bends is dependant on the strength of the field. What I need to do is to be able to calculate/predict how much the plasma will bend if I know;
*The momentum of the plasma,
*The magnitude of the magnetic field,
*The kinetic energy of the plasma,
*The heat energy caused when the plasma strikes a surface.

Firstly, is there any way I can calculate the momentum and the kinetic energy if I know the heat energy given off when the plasma strikes a surface? If not, is there any other way I could find the plasma's p and KE?

And, furthermore, (and more importantly,) is there any way, to calculate how much the arc bends once I know the momentum, kinetic energy and magnetic field magnitude? If not, what should I be measuring to calculate how much the arc bends?

I can deal with rather complex maths, but, as I'm only a high school freshman and haven't learned too much calculus, the simpler the better.

Regards;
-Alice.

PS: Sorry if this doesn't make a lick of sense, I may have gotten a bit mixed-up somewhere along the line. I'm relatively new to physics, you see.

EDITED: To spare you all some tedious background info on yours truly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dear Alice, I assume this is for a science project or something.

While your idea is good, its going to be hellish to pull off experimentally.

First problem
1) You need a huge magnetic field to observe bending of a relatively midly charged plasma. I say midly charged, b/c it won't stay ionized very long in air.
2) The magnetic field needs to be nice and uniform, or else all hell breaks loose for predictivity. In other words, you need a big solenoid not found in your local Kmart!
3) The plasma itself is molecularly complicated in your example, it will also interact with air particles, since it doesn't live in a relative vacuum. Eg you really want to do this experiment with a very pure plasma of a simple particle species, in a vacuum =D
The problem is, getting a decent vacuum is not something you can find in your local Kmart either!
4) You also want a very controlled emission. Say a very nice and uniform jet of plasma, so that the mean velocity doesn't have error bars that are off the chart.

The point is, its too hard a project for a high school student. What you can do however, is to derive some theoretical predictions for various plasma jets. This is usually acceptable work for a science project, in which case everything can be treated ideally. Ask again for more details

The only equation you need is the Lorentz force law:

[tex]F = q(\vec E + \vec v \times \vec B)[/tex]

When the electric field, [itex]\vec E[/itex] is zero, this reduces to simply:

[tex]F = q( \vec v \times \vec B)[/tex]

- Warren

1. What is the purpose of studying equations for arc plasma near magnetic fields?

The study of equations for arc plasma near magnetic fields is important for understanding the behavior of plasma in the presence of magnetic fields. This is particularly relevant in applications such as fusion energy research, plasma processing, and space physics.

2. What factors affect the behavior of arc plasma near magnetic fields?

The behavior of arc plasma near magnetic fields is influenced by factors such as the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the properties of the plasma (e.g. temperature, density, and composition), and the geometry of the magnetic field configuration.

3. How are equations for arc plasma near magnetic fields derived?

Equations for arc plasma near magnetic fields are derived from fundamental principles of electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and thermodynamics. They are typically solved using numerical methods due to the complexity of the equations.

4. What are some applications of equations for arc plasma near magnetic fields?

Equations for arc plasma near magnetic fields have a wide range of applications, including the design and optimization of magnetic confinement devices for fusion energy, the development of plasma-based propulsion systems for space exploration, and the simulation of plasma processing techniques in industry.

5. What are some current challenges in studying equations for arc plasma near magnetic fields?

One of the main challenges in studying equations for arc plasma near magnetic fields is the complexity of the equations and the large number of variables involved. Additionally, experimental validation of these equations can be difficult due to the extreme conditions required to produce and contain plasma. Further research is needed to improve our understanding of plasma behavior in the presence of magnetic fields.