Derive Velocity Equation

In summary, the conversation is discussing the process of expressing v(t) and x(t) as explicit functions of time t, given the equation a(t)=-Cv^2(t) where C is a constant and v(0)=v0. The individual has attempted two different methods and is unsure of how to integrate v^2(t) dt. The expert suggests using separation of variables to solve the differential equation.
dagr8est
Given a(t) = -Cv^2(t) where C is a constant, express v(t) and x(t) as explicit functions of time t. Assume v(0) = v0

So I tried integrating both sides of the equation to get:
v(t)+C' = -C integral v^2(t) dt

but then I how am I supposed to integrate v^2(t) dt...

Also, I thought I could do it another way:

velocity
a(t) = -Cv^2(t)
v(t)/t = -Cv^2(t)
-1/(Ct) = v(t)

distance
-1/(Ct) = v(t)
-1/(Ct) = x(t)/t
-1/C = x(t)

Well the distance can't be constant so I guess that doesn't work either. I don't even know why this 2nd method doesn't work... It looks fine to me. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct in using integration to go from a(t) to an expression for v(t).

Are you just asking how to do the indefinite integral [tex] \int v^2 (t) dt [/tex] ?

Yeah, I don't get how to integrate that. Wouldn't it be something like v^3(t)/(3a(t)) but where does the a(t) come from? It's not a constant so you just can't add it in right?

what??
notice that:
[tex]a=\frac{dv}{dt}=-Cv^2[/tex]
how can you solve this differential equation?

hint: separation of variable!

1. What is the Derive Velocity Equation?

The Derive Velocity Equation is a mathematical formula that relates the change in position of an object to its velocity. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the speed of an object at a specific point in time.

2. How is the Derive Velocity Equation derived?

The Derive Velocity Equation is derived from the fundamental laws of motion, specifically Newton's second law, which states that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By rearranging this equation, we can derive the formula for velocity.

3. What are the variables in the Derive Velocity Equation?

The Derive Velocity Equation has three main variables: displacement (Δx), time (Δt), and acceleration (a). Displacement represents the change in position of the object, time represents the duration of the motion, and acceleration represents the rate at which the object's velocity is changing.

4. How is the Derive Velocity Equation used in real-world applications?

The Derive Velocity Equation has many practical applications, such as calculating the speed of a moving vehicle, determining the velocity of a falling object, or predicting the motion of a projectile. It is also used in designing and analyzing various machines and systems, such as roller coasters and rockets.

5. Are there any limitations to the Derive Velocity Equation?

The Derive Velocity Equation assumes that the acceleration of the object is constant. This may not always be the case in real-world situations, especially when dealing with non-uniform motion. In these cases, more advanced equations or techniques may need to be used to accurately calculate velocity.