PSpice Simulation - Bridge Rectifier

In summary, you cannot get a symmetrical peak-to-peak value on PSpice for your input waveform. You might be able to find a way to do it if you know how to use the add trace menu in the schematic window, but I don't know how so I can't help.
lim1991
Hi, I'm having a problem while running a simulation of a Bridge Rectifier on PSpice.

This is my circuit schematic:

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/276/q1tasks2schematicsxp3.jpg

Vs is at 15sin(100*pi*t).

And this is the input and output waveforms plotted by PSpice.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/6281/untitledpb6.jpg

I'm aware that my input wave should have a symmetrical peak-to-peak value but i can't get it on PSpice. I have asked around and was assured that my schematic and output wave is ok, but there's no answer to why my input wave is like that .

Using PSpice Student Version 9.1.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It looks like a plot of Vs measured relative to your Earth point.

The + and - terminals of your voltage source are both floating relative to earth. Presumably there is a way to plot the voltage difference between two points, if that's what you want to see. (I don't know PSPICE so I can't help on how to do that).

Hi, thhank you for the reply.

Yes, i know it i s measured relatively to the Earth point. But if i ground the circuit somewhere else, i will get the wanted Vs wave, but then the output wave will be that of a half-wave rectifier.

I am required to plot the sinewaves for Vs and Vo ( voltage across resistor ).

OK, I'll try saying the same thing again in different words.

The "input wave" is the voltage difference between the + and - terminals of your voltage source. It's got nothing to do with the voltage between one of those terminals and ground.

You need to find out how to plot the voltage difference between any two node points in a PSPICE simulation. People do this all the time testing real circuits with real voltmeters and oscilloscopes, so there must be an easy way to do it in PSPICE otherwise the program would be fairly useless for doing real work!

But I don't use PSPICE so I can't tell you how to do it - sorry. Try looking at the tutorial or demo problems, or if all else fails read the manual.

Hello,

I believe the window where you can see/add traces or graphs of the desired output gives you, as one of the options in the little panes, the ability to graph such a difference between nodes. It is called voltage differential. It should also appear in the schematic window before you run the simulation. It allows you to place two voltage markers one at each of the nodes of interest. After running the simulation, you should be able to go into the add trace menu and see the differential voltage noted as Vout(1:2) or something like that.

1. What is PSpice Simulation and how does it work?

PSpice Simulation is a computer program used to simulate electronic circuits and systems. It uses mathematical models to predict the behavior of electronic components and the overall circuit. It allows users to analyze the circuit's performance, identify potential problems, and make changes before physically building the circuit.

2. What is a bridge rectifier and how does it work?

A bridge rectifier is an electronic device used to convert alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC). It is made up of four diodes arranged in a diamond configuration. The AC input is applied to two of the diodes, which conduct current in opposite directions. This creates a pulsating DC output, which is then smoothed out by the other two diodes to produce a steady DC output.

3. What are the advantages of using a bridge rectifier in a circuit?

One advantage of using a bridge rectifier is that it can convert both positive and negative portions of an AC signal to DC, resulting in a smoother output compared to a half-wave rectifier. It also has a higher output voltage and can handle higher currents, making it suitable for powering electronic devices.

4. How do I perform a PSpice Simulation for a bridge rectifier?

To perform a PSpice Simulation for a bridge rectifier, you will need to create a schematic of the circuit using PSpice's built-in components. Then, add the appropriate simulation profile and run the simulation. You can also set up parameters and analysis options to customize the simulation and view the results.

5. What are some common challenges or errors when simulating a bridge rectifier using PSpice?

Some common challenges when simulating a bridge rectifier using PSpice include incorrect wiring or component values, convergence issues, and incorrect simulation settings. It is important to carefully check the schematic and simulation options to ensure accurate results. It may also be helpful to consult PSpice's user manual or seek assistance from experienced users.