Colloidal Kinetics: Fick, Einstein & Stoke's Laws

• Thread starter paperclip
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinetics
In summary, Fick's Law relates to dispersing solids, while Einstein's law of diffusion indicates dispersed particles, Stoke's law illustrates sedimentation and D=kT/6πηNa=RT/6πηaN indicates the overall equation relating all of the above to indicate an AVERAGE diffusion rate including when it's still mostly in the solid stage, while dispersing and while sedimentation is taking place.
paperclip
Hi!

I want to make sure I have the right handle on this. Fick's law relates to dispersING solids, whereas Einstein's law of diffusion indicates disperSED particles, Stoke's law illustrates sedimentation and

D=kT/6πηNa=RT/6πηaN

is the overall equation relating all of the above to indicate an AVERAGE diffusion rate including when it's still mostly in the solid stage, while dispersing and while sedimentation is taking place?

Is this correct? Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Fick's law relates to dispersING solids
Fick's first law is also known as Fick's law of diffusion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fick's_law_of_diffusion
It describes diffusion of particles, e.g. diffusion theory of thermal neutrons in a moderator.

Stoke's law pertains the viscous forces on a spherical particle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stokes_law
In 1851, George Gabriel Stokes derived an expression for the frictional force exerted on spherical objects with very small Reynolds numbers (e.g., very small particles) in a continuous viscous fluid by solving the small fluid-mass limit of the generally unsolvable Navier-Stokes equations

Einstein's work was on Brownian motion, after Fick's work.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_relation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluctuation_dissipation_theorem

AVERAGE diffusion rate including when it's still mostly in the solid stage, while dispersing and while sedimentation is taking place?
I'm not sure what is meant by "still mostly solid".

I suppose I meant while the particles were still so close together that they were still more or less associated with one another, then they would still be 'mostly in the solid phase'.
Brownian motion refers to particulate matter widely dispersed in the solvent, so that WOULD mean 'dispersED', as in a currently homogenous phase, am I right?

About Fick's Law- that's the homogenous phase. The overall average diffusion rate that I'm talking about in the last sentence refers to a sort of integrated law which takes into account, for example, a tablet dropped into water.

Firstly, you have the tablet in the water. It's mostly compacted particles, the outside layer is dissolving into the liquid. That's where Fick's Law comes into play.
Next, you have the particles in the solvent moving under the influence of Brownian Motion. That's Einstein's dissolution theory.
Finally, there's the Stoke's theory, which tracks the particles as they precipitate out of solution and sink towards the bottom. There's the sedimentation.

The overall equation that I'm speaking of- I'm assuming that this integrates all three stages of the dissolution of the colloidal particles from the tablet?

Nobody? Ah, come on...sure it must be easy enough to just say 'yes, you got it right' or 'no way, you're way off the mark?'

1. What is the importance of colloidal kinetics in scientific research?

Colloidal kinetics is important in scientific research because it helps us understand the behavior and movement of particles in colloidal systems. This is crucial in various fields such as pharmaceuticals, environmental science, and materials science.

2. What are Fick's laws and how do they relate to colloidal kinetics?

Fick's laws describe the diffusion of particles in a solution and how their concentration changes over time. These laws are important in colloidal kinetics because they help us understand the movement and distribution of particles in colloidal systems.

3. How did Einstein contribute to the understanding of colloidal kinetics?

Einstein's theory of Brownian motion provided a mathematical explanation for the random movement of particles in a fluid. This was a significant contribution to colloidal kinetics as it helped explain the behavior of colloidal particles in solution.

4. What is Stoke's law and how does it apply to colloidal systems?

Stoke's law describes the settling velocity of particles in a fluid due to gravity. In colloidal systems, this law is used to determine the size and density of particles by measuring their settling velocity in a solution.

5. How is the study of colloidal kinetics relevant to real-world applications?

The understanding of colloidal kinetics is crucial in various real-world applications such as drug delivery, water treatment, and nanotechnology. By understanding how particles behave and interact in colloidal systems, scientists can develop more efficient and effective methods for these applications.