Horn Antenna Radio Interferometer

In summary, the speaker is conducting an experiment with an interferometer made of two metal funnels connected by copper tubing and a Y junction. They are trying to connect a voltage data logger to a satellite finder in order to measure the intensity of electromagnetic radiation. The experiment has been successful in detecting interference fringes and a similar pattern to a standard parabolic reflective dish. The speaker is now seeking an equation or general relations for the intensity of the detected radiation.
rattis
This is a strange experiment (or not so compared to some of the experiments I've done) that I am currently undertaking, and require your help.

I have built an interferometer of sorts. Two metal funnels of diameter 200mm are attached together by copper tubing (20mm?) through a Y junction with all angles of 120 degrees. The distance between the centre of the funnels is 600mm. The lower tube connects directly into an LNB.

I am trying to connect the LNB to a voltage data logger via a device called a satellite finder that is basically an analogue dial voltmeter. Currently the software isn't working, but it should do the job.

What I need your help with.
I don't know if it (what ever it is) will work, and if it does, why? I can't find any (seemingly) relevant equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless there is some sort of mixer in the Y junction you haven't built an interferometer.
It sounds like you are trying to make a directional signal detector.
I would have thought you want to connect a LNB to each funnel and measure the relative signal strength of each.
You will have to do some caibration because the Feed+LNBs are unlikely to be perfectly equal gains and sensitivity.

Got this setup and it actually works! One can see some excellent fringes when a person walks past it, and there's certainly some stuff going on when a sweep of the sky is made.

can anyone give me an equation relating the intensity of the em radiation detected and the size/angle of the horns? Or just some general electrostatics relations

If anyone is interested, it works exceptionally well. Interference fringes are observed, and when sweeping the southern horizon, a pattern that is significantly similar to that obtained with a standard parabolic reflective dish is observed.

What is a Horn Antenna Radio Interferometer?

A Horn Antenna Radio Interferometer is a type of radio telescope that uses a horn-shaped antenna to collect electromagnetic radiation from celestial objects. It is also equipped with multiple antennas to allow for interferometry, which combines signals from different antennas to improve resolution and sensitivity.

How does a Horn Antenna Radio Interferometer work?

The horn-shaped antenna collects incoming radio waves and directs them towards a receiver. The receiver then amplifies and processes the signals. The interferometer combines signals from multiple antennas to create an interference pattern, which is used to generate an image of the celestial object being observed.

What are the advantages of using a Horn Antenna Radio Interferometer?

Horn Antenna Radio Interferometers have several advantages over single-dish radio telescopes. They have a larger field of view, higher sensitivity, and better resolution. They are also less affected by atmospheric interference and can operate at a wider range of frequencies.

What can be observed using a Horn Antenna Radio Interferometer?

A Horn Antenna Radio Interferometer can observe a wide range of celestial objects, including stars, galaxies, pulsars, and other radio sources. It can also be used to study the structure and composition of the universe, as well as the effects of phenomena such as black holes and gravitational waves.

What are the limitations of a Horn Antenna Radio Interferometer?

One limitation of a Horn Antenna Radio Interferometer is that it can only observe objects within its field of view, which is determined by the size and spacing of its antennas. It also requires precise calibration and synchronization of the antennas, which can be challenging. Additionally, interference from other sources, such as cell phone towers, can affect the quality of the data collected.